Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB Drive Enclosure Problem

• Please log in to reply

yeewiz

yeewiz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Geeks,

Bought an Adaptec ACS-100 3.5" USB Hard Drive Enclosure kit. Put an old Maxtor 230 MB IDE hard drive in the enclosure for the heck of it. Connected to my system. My system seemed to recognize the USB device and popped up messages saying it was installing the USB device. No other warning messages or errors. After all installation activity completed, the drive does not show up in Windows Explorer. However, when I click the Unplug or Eject Hardware icon on the tray, the USB Drive - Maxtor 7213AT icon shows up in the Unplug or Eject Hardware window. The description message does say "Maxtor 7213AT : on USB drive" (as if missing assigned drive letter). If I click Stop, it will go through its motions and display the normal, you can safely remove device now message. My system is Windows ME with all current updates.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Bob

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the drive isn't formatted, it won't show up in Explorer/My Computer regardless of how its connected. If the drive is NTFS formatted, nothing you do will make ME see it until its reformatted again.

Quite how you format an external drive in ME that it is probably not possible; best thing to do is temporarily plug it in on the inside as the only drive, boot off an ME CD and partition and format it that way.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You might need to install drivers for the USB enclosure. Did you get a CD with the enclosure?

Also, was the disk used for the same version of the OS? If not, it might be that it does not recognize the filesystem type. I am not sure of when fdisk changed to the disk management program, but you might try running that and see if there are any partitions on the disk.

yeewiz

yeewiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The hard drive is one of my early drives when 230 MB was large. The OS probably was Win95 so it's possible it is FAT16. I like your idea of reformatting.

The CD is supposedly for Win98SE so I'm not sure the CD will help. I don't see the disk management program, and since ME is old, I think it's still Fdisk. But from the start button, I found the System Information button which displays the Maxtor drive but can't determine the partitions nor size. So I think formatting is the solution here.

Got to open up the case and connect it up and I'll let you know. Thanks for all the advice.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Try running fdisk. You then have to select the disk since the default is the system disk. If that works, then you don't have to do much.

yeewiz

yeewiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Formatted the hard drive using FAT32 in Win XP and put it back in the enclosure. The USB drive now works just great. That was the solution. Thanks everybody!