Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Failure...

• Please log in to reply

apachesrule

apachesrule

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Everytime I boot up my Dell Optiplex Gnt 5200L EM Pentium MMX 200Mhz computer with only 48mb of memory it comes up with the press ctrl Alt enter to enter system settup and then after that It says Invalid System Disk and I replaced the hard drive and nothin happened it did the same thing so I tried to reinstall win 98and I couldnt beause it said I didnt have a hard drive please help!! Thank you :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

You said you replaced the hard drive. Did you replace it with a new drive or not?
If the drive is brand new, or hasn't been partitioned etc, you will need to partition & format it first, then install Windows back on it.

The first thing to check however, is that the drive is being recognised correctly in the bios. To do this, power on the system & press the CTRL-ALT-ENTER keys when prompted. You should see the hard drive listed somewhere in there. Make sure that the drive listed matches the drive you've installed in the system (e.g reports the right size etc).

Check this first & let me know what happens before we go any further.

apachesrule

apachesrule

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Am old Hard Dribe I'll try it!