Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is there a Difference?

• Please log in to reply

Pentium D

Pentium D

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
is there a difference if i install 1x512MB Memory Card or 2x256MB Memory Cards ?
in the end, the two modes equal to 512MB.

another Question: Which one of the three vendors offers better performance?
1) Samsung
2) Kingston
3) Corsair

Edited by Pentium D, 02 January 2006 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It depends on the machine, but the two memory modules take up an extra slot, which means if you want to upgrade later then you might have to replace the memory.

I am going blank on the term, but on some machines have two matched memory modules allows it to run faster since it operates a bit differently. For most PCs this is not a factor though.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Normally I'd say 2x256 is better, especially if you're going to run them dual channel, but since memory is becoming so cheap, just go with the single 512mb stick. It will make upgrading later easier - if you end up with fourty bucks laying around, then you can upgrade much easier to 1024mb.

Here's an analogy why in general, 2x256 is better than 512mb:
If you have two smaller storage racks and can pull/put two files at a time, it's quicker than having to put/pull one file at a time from a larger storage rack. Any task greater than what the two smaller storage racks could handle, however, you would notice no difference.