Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building computer

• Please log in to reply

BGS

BGS

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello ... I have a custom built computer right now that no longer works and i have tried everything ... lets forget that though :tazz:

I am now buying a new computer from a company (4 places that im looking at: dell, ailenware, abs, hpcompaq) and I want to know if anyone knows someone or if you yourself has had experience with their support. I want to know if there customer support is like dell where they answer quickly and stuff like that.

Thank you

Advertisements

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
go with dell thats all i have had for like 6 years and no matter what it always seems to work

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldnt go with dell if you want a good system the systems they build are bare minimum and are a real pain to upgrade and fix. Cheapo system for internet and stuff like that dells great for that kinda pc that you are never going to upgrade.

I would go with another custom build from a big builder, that way you get the warranty as well as what you want and a proper pc.

Vision

Vision

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yes building yourself will be ALOT cheaper and better since you know what your going to get and at better deals

BGS

BGS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well if you read my post you would have seen that in no way will i build mine.. Im not trying to be an [bleep] just simply stating what I am here for and nothing else :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
When you do buy a manufactured pc then. Make shure it has the expandability of a pci express 16X slot. Alot of the manufactured pc's have onboard video which sucks and sometimes they dont put a slot to expand your video capabilities. You cant play the newer games with onboard video also, so you will want to upgrade to a better video card asap..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats why i said custom builder but one of the larger ones, Alienware is a custom builder but also a big company. Alienware though are a little expensive, if you are in the US you dont have much more choice than what you listed as far as i know in the UK and Europe there are lots and lots of large custom building companies.

There is two camps, the premade manufactured PC compaines and the PC building compaines.

Dell make premade manufactured PCs that have cheap as you go parts and as little upgradability as they can put in without making the systems cost more. Alienware make PCs in large numbers but systems are configured by the clients and built to order abd have as much upgradibility as they can put in them.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
if you want certain parts and a completely customized computer, whereu choose the parts and they build it go2 newegg.com or tigerdirect.com. It should be cheaper than than other manufacturers and you have more flexibility

BGS

BGS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
HEy guys sorry to sound like an [bleep] but I dont want a custom computer and I'm only buying one from a company. I currently have a computer that i built from newegg.com and I have tried replacing server parts with cheaper parts just to see what was actually broken so i could replace it. The last two parts I have not tried are the proccessor and the motherboard but I have alrady spent $200 on a computer that only cost me $1500. I dont want to sound rich or anything but money really isnt a deciding facotr (though i dont want a computer that costs $1600 or above except when i factor in the support for 2 years). I currently have a 9800pro 256mb in my computer so I know what kind of cards I want and tahts why I think im going to be going with abs becaues they give the best cards available and I will do some more research on them since I dont know how there geforces compare to my 9800.