Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help buying ram

• Please log in to reply

toebar20

toebar20

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a ASUS P4T-E mobo with two sticks of RDRAM 256mb each, would like to buy two more sticks.
What is the differance between ecc and non-ecc and how do I find out what i have?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G toebar20

I suspect you're going to have fun finding RDRAM these days at a reasonable price!
However, if you can get it ok, then you need to match the existing ram in terms of specs, as you probably know.

ECC stands for error correcting capability. The most important thing is not to mix & match ECC ram with non-ECC ram. ECC is really only used for mission critical applications, servers etc as it provides increased reliability but with a slight drop in performance.

The best way to find out exactly what you currently have in your system, is to download & run Everest. You can get it from this link :
http://majorgeeks.co...tion_d4181.html

This should give you all the specs you require on your existing ram modules.