Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Formating and converting from 95 to 98

• Please log in to reply

35spider

35spider

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an old computer thats been giving me a problem in addition to wanting to update it from 95 to 98. Formated the hard drive without making a backup (should have researched more first). Lost my 95 OS disk but have a 98 OS disk. At first the computer came up to c: but with no files loaded. I down loaded boot 98 from the suggestions on other topics and was able to access them. Ran the autoexcec.bat and came up with a device driver not found error: 'OEMCD001', No valid CDROM device drivers selected. How and where to I go next? The computer is a Gateway 2000 running at 166 MHz. Do you need any additional info?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you formatted the drive, you can set the PC to boot from CD ROM Drive then Hard Drive, then boot it with the 98 CD in and select load from CD ROM

35spider

35spider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tried that already. It didn't work. The screen goes blank except for a blinking icon. I'm also getting a bios battery error. Would that affect the operation? The 98 OS is from the packet of software that was provided to me on another computer. After I reset and save the boot options for cd-rom, hard drive and allow it to proceed the system asks me for my boot options; 1) hard drive then cd-rom. I select the cd-rom and the screen goes blank. Would making a backup disk from another computer with 98 on it help?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Change the BIOS battery if you can, then see what it does

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your machine may be too old to recognize the cd-rom without drivers, you may need a win98 boot floppy, and use it to start the system with cd-rom support. You can use any computer to make one here

www.allbootdisks.com