Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics problems when playing games on PC

• Please log in to reply

87lsmc

87lsmc

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have a HP p4 2.8ghz with 512mb ram. On the old video card the only game I played was half life. I got a few games for Xmas so I upgraded to an ATI x700 with 256mb. One of the games is Black and White 2, which I played for a little while until I started getting weird bursts of color across the screen. It occurs with all games Battlefield 2, black and white 2 and half life. I tried reinstalling the drivers from the ATI website. I also called EA games and they said it was a problem with my directx and I needed to call Microsoft. I updated directx and I am still having the problems with the colors. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Make shure you got direct x 9.0c.

Try to get the latest video card drivers for your video card. Check again.

If it still does it, the card might be getting to hot.

If you overclocked the video card that could be the problem..

Edited by jrm20, 02 January 2006 - 11:17 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I sometimes get that from black and white 2 you might try patching it to the latest version, also go to the microsoft website and get the latest .net framework and install it.

87lsmc

87lsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'll give these a try and see what happens. Thanks !

87lsmc

87lsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well I checked on the easyinfo tab under the game diagnostics and I have directx9.0 Ialso updated the .net framework. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it and downloaded the updated patch for it and I am still having problems. Also, when I start up half life the background behind the valve logo has a blue checkerboard pattern made up of small blue lines. I'll have to post pictures when I get home. I have no idea how to overclock anything so I don't think that could be the problem. As far as overheating goes the only upgrades that I've done is the video card and a 500 watt power supply. I was wondering if the video card could just be defective and if I should exchange it since it is less than a week old.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
You could also try updating your motherboard chipset drivers.
If that still doesn't work try replacing the card.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Its a video card issue to me.

Try exchanging it or either get a totally different card.

87lsmc

87lsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I went and exchaned the video card and the games run great. No more problems. When I went to return the card, one of the store employees had to pull out a ladder to check the top shelf for the card I was looking for. He just happened to knock over a $400 card. It was only about a 10 foot fall. He than put it back on the shelf. Maybe that's how I ended up with a defective card.

Stelth2k1

Stelth2k1

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
lol you should have asked him if you can have the $400 one lol say tis probably broken :tazz: lol