Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Explorer is not auto refreshing

• Please log in to reply

smichael

smichael

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi there,

I had some real real nasty problems on my comp and ended up having to use the recovery disk and wiped out my c drive and reinstalled XP home edition. I have it updated w/ SP2. Things are mostly back to normal now but there is a strange thing going on when I am looking at files w/ windows explorer. If I open a folder and there are a bunch of files listed (in this case music files) and I move them or delete them the screen does not automatically refresh or rearrange the files to fill in the space like it once did. I did find something that looks like it might be the same thing on microsoft's support site :
http://support.micro...kb/823291/en-us
but it really doesn't make much sense to me as far as the instructions go. Does anybody have any idea of what I could do to try and remedy this?
TIA!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open a folder then right click an empty part, click arrange icons by to tick auto arrange, if it is ticked, untick it close the folder, open the folder then tick it, close the folder then open it and check they are auto arranging

smichael

smichael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hey Kieth,
Thanks that was it. Man was I totally making this much more complicated than it was. Glad I checked here before I started messing around with the registry and all that. Thanks for the help!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know