Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rebooting loop after we downloaded security Patch for IE6 from Microso

• Please log in to reply

deckpl

deckpl

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Everyone,

I was working on my husbands 90 year old mother's computer (has XP) she said the taskbar wasn't there and she could not get on the Internet. When I came over to check, yes the toolbar wasn't there. I got it back for her and when I tried to get her on the Internet it went on but it did not show she was on in the system tray. I noticed at that time they were saying we had to do an update for Security Patch for IE6 from Microsoft which I did. When it restarted the computer it went into this rebooting loop. I tried getting into safe mode but it would not go into safe mode. I tried picking where it said to restore from a date when it was working (I do not remember just what it said) but that did not work either.

She enjoys getting on and talking to all of us so I hope I can fix this for her. I want you to know I know a little about computers but I am no pro by any means. If someone tells me step by step I may be able to help her. She does have a Restore disk if that helps? I was afraid to us it since I do not know the first thing about using the Restore disk.

Thanks so much,

KathyW.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

deckpl

deckpl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Keith,

I can not thank you enough. Your step by step instructions will help me so much. I will try and get over to my mother in laws this weekend to do this and will get back to you on my success.

This site is wonderful and like I said before I can not thank you enough.

Thanks for being there for us!! :tazz:

Kathy W.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you find out from the supplier what the capabilities of the recovery disc are, some will only revert the PC to its day one condition and some will load Windows and all the necessary drivers

If system restore does not play ball from the command prompt then there are repair options, but these depend on the type of recovery CD you have

deckpl

deckpl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Keith,

I have been sick so I cannot get to my mother in law's until maybe next week sometime. I will check on that Restore Disk then. She really only uses her computer right now just to talk to all of us on Yahoo Messenger. She has not used it for anything else so she has nothing saved on it at all. So if it went back to the the orginal day nothing really will be lost. I forgot to mention she is has a e-machine with XP if that is any help?

Thanks for all your help,

Kathy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Post in when you are able to go there, if the recovery CD loads all the programmes and drivers as well it will be a bonus, perhaps you can check if the installation CD's are about if it doesn't

Get well soon

Keith

KatW

KatW

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello Keith,

Sorry this took me so long to get with you but I have been very sick and they didn't think it was good for me to go to my mother in laws. I just went and brought her computer home with me. I found the Restore disk and there are two and one is for the drivers. It says the following on the disk. "The Restore CD is provided by eMachine and gives a complete backup of the software that was preinstalled on the PC at the factory. Should the software ever need to be reinstalled, the RestoreCD will copy the necessary files onto the hard drive".

So is there anything different I should do now then you told me before?

Thanks,

Kathy

deckpl

deckpl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Keith,

Well, I finally was able to try what you told me to do but they did not work. I clicked on F8 until I got to the Safe Mode and clicked on the information that you told me so I would get a command prompt. When I did this what came up were like file strings (which did not mean anything to me) but the prompt did not come up. What do I do now?

Thanks

Kathy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you just check it again, it will run through a lot of lines, then the screen will go blank, you may be prompted to choose an account, choose administrator then it should stop witha line that says C:\documents and settings\Administrator

It can take a few minutes to get there

KatW

KatW

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Keith. I will try again I didn't wait very long so I will try that.

Thanks again,

Kathy W.