Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C D Drives will not read any disc.

• Please log in to reply

sherryh61

sherryh61

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Computer: Custom Built, 15Gb HD (Old), 80Gb HD (Added), AMD Athlon Processor, 700MHz, Phillips CD-RW, Atapi CD-Rom, Floppy Disc, Window XP Pro.
:tazz: I added a new hard drive to my computer. My original was to full, it had less than 9% free. After installing the hard drive, I changed the drive letters (I was told that it would be O.K., it wasn't.). After changing the drive letters, neither of the C D drives will work. The computer recognizes them, but when you put a disc in, it does nothing. I had to dig, but I found a message that said there is a block(?). I have un-installed the drivers and unplugged the CD drives and then plugged them back in. The computer re-installed the drivers automatically, but there is still no change.
The second problem is that two of my sign-ons are not recognized. I feel like if I could get the disc drives to work, then I could correct this problem with the Windows XP disc.
Can anyone please help me with this???

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sherryh61...

Have you (or can you) tried a System Restore to a time before you changed the drive letters?

wannabe1

Prisionero De La Ley

Prisionero De La Ley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, Did you try to rename it as it was before you change the letter?

sherryh61

sherryh61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried doing a system restore and I tried putting the drives letters back the way they were to begin with.
Neither worked.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The error you mentioned block(?)

Was it bad block?

Start > run
eventvwer.msc
<enter>

check under system

If so, this is a read error and it could mean your drive is failing, or, your drive is very dirty

If, in all your efforts, you nudged the drive, you may have dislodged some dirt that has fallen onto the lense. I would use a CD-rom drive cleaner and see if that addresses the issue.

Failing that, I suspect a failed drive.

When you added the drive, did you move the cd drive on the cable? Or just add the drive?

Is the cable securley in place?

sherryh61

sherryh61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It says "The device,\Device\CdRom0, has a bad block." I tried cleaning both CD Roms. The drives did not slip, they are both in securely. I disconnected the cables when I un-installed them, but they were not loose before that.

sherryh61

sherryh61

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Problem solved!!
Both CD Drives were fried. Replaced.