Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AHHHHH HOT CPU! PLZ HELP

• Please log in to reply

Goateater47

Goateater47

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My cpu is currently running at 72.5 C with 1% usage... sry but What the...!? it is an intel 2.8a with a prescott core

Edited by Goateater47, 02 January 2006 - 10:30 PM.

Advertisements

Querra

Querra

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have the SAME problem (70-71 C) and mine is 2.4 prescott , i don't know what's going on :tazz:

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
New HSF could be the the contact between the heat sink and cpu is loose or the airflow in you case is congested i'd suggest a Zalman CNPS 7700 cu for 50 dollars it should cool the cpu down. 70-72 ....... that's living on the edge.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
new fans, clean the case out, a new HS....but yeah...that's a bit warm..

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
if this is it... i found it for $32 http://www.onsale.co...id=BWBPRICEGRAB

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
that's the copper and aluminium version, a lot lighter and cheaper than the all copper version. but doens't ake a great difference in the cooling. but before you buy. Check out your mobo compatability on Zalman usa website. and open your case a measure out the clearences, cause that thing is HUGE.

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
okay... what would be the better buy, all copper or the part aluminum one, keeping in mind the price and how well the work? also i found a newer one its the CNPS9500. is that any good? or is it a rip off?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
6 and 2 3s which one is best although you dont need to go so extravegent the arctic freezer would be just as good and less of a bank and motherboard breaker as the big zalman. Also if you get some arctic silver and clean out your case then remove and clean the HSF you have now and reinstall it using arctic silver you could probably fix the heat problem.

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
that stuff says it will only lower the temperatur 3 to 12 degrees.... i need MAJOR cooling, are you sure that would be enough?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well its worth trying before you spend money on an expensive new HSF, also its possible that your HSF isnt seated properly, and between that and the cooling you should be able to drop the temps down a fair bit.

Advertisements

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
okay ill try it... But i have tried moving the hsf around before and it doesnt seem to help. I've also read a lot of reviews on amazon and new egg that say these processors run super hot...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They do, you know when you moved the HSF around did you clean off the old thermal compund and apply new stuff.

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yea, i did.. i went out and bought the arctic silver... no difference

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So it didnt affect the temperatures in the slightest? Did the system ever crach when you played games or ran anything demanding, it should cut out at 80C many will cut out at 70C have you tried updating the bios of the motherboard it may just be a fault in the temp sensor or its software(more common problem thatn you would imagine).

If you applied the arctic silver properly then you should have noticed a difference in temperatures its not really possible that there was no difference at all it should have at least dropped to the upper 60s.

You are only using a very very tiny amount of thermal compound then spreading it across the cpu with a card(old credit or store card) then place the HSF straight on to it and clipping it into place firmly.

Well if you noticed no difference and you did it all properly and its not a fault you have a truly terrible HSF and you should replace it(you needed to get the arctic silver for that anyway). I know thas what you were going to do in the first place but it would be foolish not to try the simple things first that you had to get the stuff to anyway.

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well it did drop like 1 degree... but thats about it... still in danger zone. As for the bios being wrong... i cant be positive... im not an expert lol. but the sensor also says the fan is running at 4383rm... seems a lil excessive... idk tho *edit* ohh right... it never crashed, no. and i updated the bios about a month and a half ago, but it has always run this hot. its just that until now, i never realized it was a problem and was affecting the way i ran programs.

Edited by Goateater47, 05 January 2006 - 07:40 PM.