Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AHHHHH HOT CPU! PLZ HELP

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm im surprised by the fact that it never crashed at those temps, you know what you can try. Dobys heat test:
Do this test to get a idea if the sensor is accurate or not, after the computer has been at idle for 15 minutes or so very carefully touch the base of the heat sink

40c to 49c = comfortably warm
50c to 55c = warm near hot have to pull away after 2 or 3 seconds
55c to 65c = hot need to pull away after 1 second
65c and above = burnt fingers

Report what you find back

You could also use a themometer and touch its probe to the base of the hs.

That should give you an indicator of how hot if its at 70 or above you wont be able to touch the heat sink at all.

Advertisements

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
all i have to say is ouch.... i should have used the thermometer idea... LOL. doesnt hurt now, no blister er anything but [bleep], when i did it it sure did hurt

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
btw can you suggest the best buy for a good heatsink, i think thats what is going to need to happen... lol

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
warriorscot is really on top of this one, I think his key question here is, is the computer stable when playing intense games.

If totally stable and it passes the finger test I usually recommend to do nothing and chaulk it up to the sensor reading high.

Another test if you really want to be sure is to leave the computer off 7 to 8 hours,take note of the room temp, then power on and immediately enter bios and read the cpu temp.

The cpu temp should be the room temp plus 5c to 7c for the time it takes to get to bios. Anything else is sensor error

I have tested this theory with AMD cpu's and its fairly accurate and a good way to see how far off your sensor is.

Rick

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
stable meaning what in this case?

Edited by Goateater47, 05 January 2006 - 09:04 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No I mean no crashes, no freezes, no bsod's (blue schreen of death) when running a intensive game not at idle or just browsing the net.

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well i used to get the blue screen sometimes while runnng a game.. but that was solved by replacing a faulty ram module and doing a clean reinstall of video drivers. processor didnt cause it

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Great Thermaltake product compatible w/ all recent sockets (A, 478, 754,774,939)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835106061

I have one and my CPU is always nice and cool (of course AMDs always do reun cooler anyways) Its HUGE but it gets the job done. Just make sure it will fit in your case (12 CM fan)

Goateater47

Goateater47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
im just searching for the best one for the least amount of money, should i go with one of the thermaltakes, a zalman, or something else?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would go for the arctic freezer its one of the cheapest but one of the best, i wouldnt be in too much of a rush if performance isnt affected but if it was that hot as you cant touch it then you should probably get another HSF the one you have now must be terrible.

Advertisements