Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Dimension 2100 for Call of Duty 2

• Please log in to reply

toast23

toast23

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 2100 from 2001. Runs great, but only a 1.1 GHz Celeron and who knows what old video card. I foolishly loaded Call to Duty 2 and, of course, it won't play; nor will it uninstall.

Not being an advanced computer user, I didn't want to go in and remove registry keys and all that. And my old Dell is otherwise just fine so I'm not anxious to replace it. I'd rather make Call to Duty 2 work on this machine.

Here is what Activision recommends I upgrade my computer with:

In order to get the game to run on your system you will need to upgrade your processor and your video card. Listed below is the minimum required by the game for both the processor and the video cards that are supported.

Processor:
- Pentium® IV 1.4GHz or AMD Athlon™ XP 1700+

3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 64 MB Hardware Accelerator video card and the latest drivers

Supported video cards:
- ATI® Radeon® 8500
- ATI® Radeon® 9000
- ATI® Radeon® 9200
- ATI® Radeon® 9500
- ATI® Radeon® 9600
- ATI® Radeon® 9700
- ATI® Radeon® 9800
- ATI® Radeon® X300
- ATI® Radeon® X550
- ATI® Radeon® X600
- ATI® Radeon® X700
- ATI® Radeon® X800
- ATI® Radeon® X850
- nVidia® GeForce™2 Ultra
- All nVidia® GeForce™ 3/Ti Series
- All nVidia® GeForce™ 4/Ti Series
- All nVidia® GeForce™ FX Series
- All nVidia® GeForce™ 6 Series
- Recommended nVidia® GeForce™ 7 Series or higher

FIRST, will my old Dell handle such a processor or video card?

SECOND, is it cost prohibitive - should I just bite the bullet and get a new desktop? (Dell is advertising a new Dimension 1100 (2.53 GHz Celeron, "Intel Extreme Graphics") for $299, and a Dimension 3100 (2.80 GHz Pentium 4 and "Intel Extreme Graphics 2") for $449.)

Thanks!

- Toast

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
COD 2 isn't very very hard on system requirements if you are willing to play it with DX7 engine instead of DX9. upgrading your old dell would be iffy.... i'd suggest getting a new one and maybe think about other systems beside dells since upgrading them is a pain (only dell parts work). If you really want you can bulid your own gaming system for around 600 and you would have a system 3 times better than a dimension 3100. Pentium IV 2.8 ghz 1 gigs of ram ati 9550-9800. IT should be able to run COD2 perfectly on DX7 engine.
BTW COD2 ROCKS

toast23

toast23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the tip. What is a "DX7 engine"?

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
COD uses Direct X 9 for best preformance (DX9) it looks very pretty... with lots of extra stuff. But if you want performance you can go to the optioins manual and select gfx engine to be Direct X 7 this will at least double the performance of the game but you won't see as much details as DX9.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
On a 600 buck system these days you can play it with dx9 fine. Also none of the dell systems you listed would play CoD either so no point in buying one of those.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
well but if am running DX9 my FPS is at 25-35 not very playable, but on DX7 my FPS is 230..... so is it just the way it is or am i configuring something wron g in dx 9?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
To increase your FPS you might want to lower the resolution and turn down antialising, filtering, shadows etc..
Also update your drivers, close unnecessary background tasks etc..

What graphics card are you using?

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 04 January 2006 - 10:25 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A 9800pro should manage DX9 mode ok as long as the settings arent cranked all the way up maybe 2x AA at the most and medium shadows etc, even medium at DX9 looks better than DX7 and theres no point in FPS beyond a certain amount around 30ish as your eye cant see anymore than that.