Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot copy file

• Please log in to reply

ryant3

ryant3

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi,

when i try to copy the "system" folder from my flash memory which i use for my mobile phone & onto my hard disk, i get a "cannot read from the source file or disk" error

i only cannot copy this particular folder, other files & folders just work normally.

any help will be appreciated, thanx!

Edited by ryant3, 02 January 2006 - 11:39 PM.

Advertisements

ryant3

ryant3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
nobody has a solution for this?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is kind of dicey...what is in said system folder from your cell phone flash memory that you need.

It could be that your cell phone maker fells it is inadvisable for you to be messing with a folder called "SYSTEM" on something that goes in your cell phone, as your cell phone could stop functioning

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i would assume that you're trying to get into the system info on your SIMM card in the phone so that y ou can reprogram the phone to get options that you didn't start with...or to be able to use the phone with different service providers...generally...doing this on your own..not only void's your contract...but is concidered illegal...

ryant3

ryant3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
to be precise, i access the memory card through a flash reader not through cable or while the memory card is still attached to the phone.. i used to this by selecting everything in the memory card & copy it on my pc, but now i cant copy the "SYSTEM" folder, my phone is powered by Symbian OS.. and one more thing, when i checked the properties of the memory card, it states dat it's over 4GB! while the actual capacity is only 256mb..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Once again, why are you accessing the SYSTEM directory?

ryant3

ryant3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
coz i want to back up everything i have on the memory card, the applications, the settings, the fonts, etc..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think you are unwise to proceed with this.

A cursory Internet search found that
a) the system folder is intentionally not accessible via a PC
b) hacking it can cause bad things to happen

I am not knowledgeable enough to instruct you on this topic, but I read that feexplorer may enable you to access this folder. The makers of the program also have a forum and might be better suited to answer your questions on the program and your general possibilities.

http://www.gosymbian...xplorer_new.php

ryant3

ryant3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thank you for your effort gerryf