Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new pc

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you want to get 2gb if youre spending that much money, but the pro stuff is a bit extravagent for my tastes its almost identical to the normal 2Gb c2pt stuff so you deicde wether you want to pay the extra money for the better looking hsf and a slightly tighter ram timings(although the c2pt i think could manage the same if you set the timiming manually in bios.

Advertisements

Souseke

Souseke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
so this one you reckon this would better suit my needs?
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)
@ http://www.overclock...orsair_XMS.html

BTW i have found another way to cut costs and have a nice psu and case. i have decided to change from an antec p180 with arctic neo he 550w
to an Antec P150 which comes with a Antec Neo HE 430W
I have found that that psu should be able to cope with SLI therefore should be able to run with crossfire...

Edited by Souseke, 04 January 2006 - 05:10 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well 430W would maybe just run that system with one card but two would be pushing it and it would only run SLI say if you used lower power 6600GTs it wouldnt manage SLI with say a 6800GS or even one 7800GTX would be pushing that powersupply, I wouldnt get anything less than 500W especially if you want an x2 and another gfx card down the line also the P180 is a very nice case.

That ram is good stuff and you can get the super good pro stuff if you like but i dont think its quite worth all the extra you pay for it.

Souseke

Souseke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I did like the P180 however the case is massive!!
I think maybe I'll stick with that p150 with 430W supply. The PSU was the same as i was thinking of buying originally except with a lower wattage.
I can easily update the psu when i buy a new graphics card in the future..
I was reading about the P150 as well, although it doesnt keep the computer as cool as the P180 is does offer similar sort of sound reduction as the P180. Also I believe that the P150 is a newer model than the P180 as it was released after the P180.
However with the current spec, do you think it will run ok?

This is what I am thinking of buying:

Antec P150 (included PSU)
AMD Athlon 64x2 4400
Akasa AK-920 EVO 120
PowerColor ATI RAdeon X1800XT 512
Sapphire Pure Advantage Crossfire
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT
some arctic silver

Everything I am thinking I will get from overclockers except the processor and motherboard which will come from savastore..
price is still more than I want to spend but slightly less than if I got the P180 and separate PSU?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well 430W is iffy its borderline if i remeber right ATI says you should have 450W for a system with an x1800, you would almost be as well, forgetting about the antecs cases and get another case like a centurion 530 or lanboy and then get a seperate higher wattage PSU Hyper are cheap but good. You could go a little cheaper on the ram if you want and get the c3 stuff if you want it will take off the bleeding edge but that system is fast enough to take it in its stride. The system as it stands will be near as fast as money can buy.

P150 is also one ugly case to boot as having a low power PCU you are going to have a very very powerful system but it needs plenty of juice so powersupply needs to be able to take it.

Souseke

Souseke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I quite like the look of the p150 i dont really like the look of the centurion and lanboy.

i just found this about the psu

http://www.silentpcr...e273-page2.html

says it can run sli and crossfire ok...?

Edited by Souseke, 04 January 2006 - 10:29 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, Seasonic are good and 600W would definatley last you. Modular is good but you dont need it i dont have a mudular but my case is tidy beause i just hid the cables in one of the 5.25 inch bays and they are all nice silver braided jobs anyway so they look good the messiest part isnt the unused big cable its the spare ends of the cables you do use.

PSU you definatley need one with enough power you are building a very very fast system and thats going to need alot of power. Cases alot of its quite personal as long as its from a good brand. Antecs with the PSU are great if you can get one with a nice PSU but the problem is demands of systems increase faster than they up the PSUs in their cases.

Have you checked the akasa eclipse its the case i was going to get but it was on the pricey side at the time and i got a great deal on my lanboy at amazon, eclipse is one beutiful case very well thought out and practical if a little on the large side in terms of width. Also there is alot of other case brands, im always one for promoting getting a good case as its affects performance more than most realise and its the most visible part of the computer so it has to be something you like and can live with i spent more time picking my case than i did anything else, next on the list of time consuming shopping was the PSU, probably the toughest bits to buy im my opinion because they are the parts so often not given much attention but also the easiest to get wrong.

Lian li make some good cases but they can be expensive, lian li are the gucci or prada of the case world. On quiet modular PSUs most other things in your case make more noise including the case fans, so its not a biggy, my hyper one is very quiet because the big 120mm fan when its even on only turns very slowly its only picked up to hgh speed once or twice and even then its a good fan and makes slightly less noise than the case 120mms. A powerful system and a quiet one rarely go together, you can have a system that doesnt sound like a small aircraft engine though especially if you pick your case wisely and get a good fan controller.

Souseke

Souseke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
the main reason why i was changing for the akasa p180 to p150 was the size. the eclipse one is higher than the p180!
I know i keep changing my mind but i want to get something that i will like and it has good spec..
i was wondering wii the seasonic psu have any problems with the p180 case. i mean is terms of cable length and vent placements of the psu?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You shouldnt the interior and placement is all standard inside, the p180 and the eclipse arent as big as the specs would seem, sure they are still big but they arent a stacker or anything that big. Most of the P180s size is asthetic as far as i know. Heights fine on both the eclipse is not overly tall for the reason that they cant go past the length of the PSUs cables. Not something ive heard of happening if you get a good PSU its only the cheap generic ones or budget ok ones like the Q-tecs on overclockers that might not be long enough on a large case.

There is a bit of extra height on the p180 because of the top mounted fan i think, the things is full of fans which will add to its bulk but the more fans the lower speed you can run them and the quieter.

But you do have to get something you like as its something you have to live with as its the thing you see all the time, alot of people seem to like getting the cheap plastic cases with all the weird patterns, but you might only like it for a couple of months then yout stuck with this hideous case to modify, thats why i like something simpler and more elegant and all the best cases follow that guideline simple is elegant, and you can always glam you case up a bit after you have it.

I would stick to your guns and get one of the p180s if you can afford it otherwise go down the ranges but antec cases at the lower end apart from the lanboy and sonata are kinda ugly lookin as antec dont put out to many new cases all the time and there biggest customers are big builders not enthusiasts. Coolermaster cater to enthusiasts a little better at the cheaper end but if you dont like them thats them out, (you might be able to find a good price on an old model stacker those are super big upgrade up the kazba casesm and its a really big case if you think those are big wait till you see on of these).

Souseke

Souseke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yeah. im not that keen on the p180 anymore..
I think ill look around for cases that are quiet and look nice.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You have to find one you like.

Souseke

Souseke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yeah. I'm looking for a case that is silent and doent have a see through side panel. thats why i originally liked the p180. but reading around , i find that the case it going to be too big and it can be a hassle to setup..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the bigger and more advanced the more difficult the case to set up, one of the reason why i like akasa was its so simple next system ill probably get one on my next build, although i might get a stacker if i can afford one its one of those cases that you cant really consider cause its so expenisve but you want one anyway.

As long as it has a pair of 120mm fans itll be fine you can take some noise precautions with anycase that can quieten it up a bit.

I looked at the seasonic on overclockers good deal on a 600W PSU.

Souseke

Souseke

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yeah. i thought it was too.
I've just come across Silverstone Lascala LC series.
Wow are they nice. I didnt know the btx looking cases were back
The one im currently looking at it the Silverstone Lascala LC10s
Looks really slick in silver and looks like itll take a standard atx board.
I love to find a nice normal tower case that looks that nice in silver...

The Lian Li series is quite nice..

Lian-Li PC-767 Classical Silent appeals to me but im looking around the Lian-Li to see what other quiet cases they have.

Edited by Souseke, 04 January 2006 - 02:49 PM.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Modular power supplies are nice because u dont have a bunch of extra cables. I have had one for 1/2 a year and it runs great ( also looks cool)
But if you have a closed case who cares. Heres a good one

http://www.tigerdire...1273350&CatId=0

Also here are some cases

http://www.tigerdire...1289170&CatId=0

http://www.tigerdire...1010728&CatId=0