Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question about broadband speeds ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Have just installed a wireless router as i have just got a laptop.
Have also installed a wireless card in my desktop so i can network the 2 computers.
Before i had the wireless router, my bt broadband connection was 1.1 meg, but now it says 54 mbps.
,, it fluctuates up and down below this speed occassionaly.
I havent really noticed any changes in connection speeds or indeed downloading files.

Just wondered,,, can someone explain a bit more about wireless speeds as opposed to modem speeds.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....most wireless routers as far as the wireless connection goes...is about 54 mbps (maybe 55..sorry not a wireless expert)...which means that the transfer speed on the actual wireless connection (between computer and router) is capped at that speed...so...in effect...the speed on the other end (the router to your isp) is irrellevant as the router can only send info to the computer at the speed of the wireless connection....

with any network connection (home to isp or computer to server or whatever)....the connection is only as fast as the slowest component in the loop....if i were running a gigabit ethernet network...and atatched a 10 mb network device to it....i'd only be getting a 10 mb connection on that machine..instead of the full gigabit connection....does that make sense? so..basically...everything coming into..or going out of your router (to or from your isp) is moving at 1.1...but once it hit's the router coming in...or goes from your laptop to the router going out...the speed get's dropped to the 54... hope that clears that up some

this is the major limitation of wireless technology at the moment...

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Sorted,,,,,
I kinda figured that was the case,,, just needed someone who knows what they are talking about
to confirm it for me.
thankyou,,,