Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Controller

• Please log in to reply

lloyd301

lloyd301

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
After seeing this in device manger with a Q, I updated driver. After this, I had 2 internet connections. A freind came over and deleted it. What a freind. Any way , now my printer doesnt work. Does this have anything to do with USB? I have DSL and no problems with internet. Thank you for any help, TJ

After uninstall it came back and is still there with a Q.

Edited by lloyd301, 03 January 2006 - 10:33 AM.

Advertisements

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Howdy. The SiS 900 Fast Ethernet controller is an integrated ethernet card.

You mentioned that there were 'two internet connections' - and I bet one almost always said "Network cable unplugged"?

You friend didn't delete your internet connection, he disabled the ethernet card.

If you want to re-enable it, go to the Device Manager (I find it easiest to right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager), click the plus next to Network Adapters, then look for any red Xs or yellow question marks. If you see a red X, then that device is disabled. You can right click -> enable.

Now, your printer shouldn't be related in any way to the ethernet card, but if your printer isn't a thousand years old, then your printer might be hooked up to your PC via USB cable.

Find the cable that goes from your printer to your PC. How does it hook up to your PC? Does it look like this?

http://www.xkeys.com...eys/usb-432.jpg (Xkeys.com)

If it does, go back to the device manager, and go all the way to the bottom to Universal Serial Bus controllers. If any of them are disabled, enable them.

If this doesn't help, update your motherboard drivers. Just curious, what model motherboard do you own?

lloyd301

lloyd301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for response. Do i NEED to update this network card? I ended up buying a new one. About the printer, yes it is a USB, it was purched in '04 xmas. There are no USB ports that are not enabled in device manager. Ive already contacted Lexmark, they gave me ways to run self-test. Not sure of the motherboard, my comp was built by a freind of mine. Is there a way to found out ,is it listed in my P.C. somewhere? I posted my Hijackthis log in Malware forum if it helps. Thanks, TJ

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Unless it's completely broken, don't bother buying a new network card. It's only twenty bucks for an internal video card.

Try plugging the printer in a USB port, particularly into one in the back.