Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop keeps refreshing/ no access to internet or pgms

• Please log in to reply

docgoblin

docgoblin

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
This is a strange problem. I just cleaned up some spyware from a friend's system. The computer was working great after the cleanup, but I decided to upgrade to SP2 and after installation and reboot the system went haywire. There are two profiles and each one is acting differently. On one profile when you boot to Windows the desktop keeps refreshing over and over. If you try to use Task Mgr to access any Diagnostic tools or files the system refreshes as soon as you try to type in a command. On the other profile the desktop is stable but there is no access to the internet or, again, any diagnostic tools. You can't access the Control Panel or Help and Support. If you do try to get to Help and Support an Error comes up stating:

Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and Support.'

I don't know how to start the service since it is impossible to access any services.

I was able to run ChkDsk as well as Ad-Aware and I did a Virus scan. Everything came up fine. The Hijack This log is clean (although there is no way for me to get it to this forum as I can't access the internet). Is anyone familiar with this kind of problem, or is this gonna require a reformat?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
um, on the second profile(stable one) you can try this:
start > run > services.msc

you can turn on/off services from there. Help and Support included.

also, you might want to consult the malware forum with your HJT log. just save it on a diskette or something and upload it from somewhere else. :tazz:

docgoblin

docgoblin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Even on the stable profile I am not able to type in the Run box. As soon as you start typing the dialog box dissapears. I even tried writing the services.msc /s command in a notepad doc and then copying/pasting it, but when you hit okay the run box closes and nothing happens. You can't access My Computer or Control Panel either. I can get into program files like HJT, Spybot, Ewido, Ad-Aware and AVG. I ran them all and they all come up clean as a whistle. I could post the HJT log from a disk if you think it is worth it, but the log looks clean to me. It seems as if after the SP2 install some key system files were screwed up some how.

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
only stuff i can think of:

-try getting into system restore, go back to point when you've already gotten rid of spyware, but Before installing sp2.

-if you have extra partitions, transfer/backup all your data files and reformat. at least you can be sure your system will REALLY be clean after.

OR

-try looking up "windows XP Repair" in the forums. the staff say doing a repair(with XP cd) won't delete your files, but you'll need to reinstall updates(read up on this before trying it out, though!). if this works then you'd better stick with sp1++.

hope this helps.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by presssing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP
Repair XP

there's the instructions for the repair