Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Computer

• Please log in to reply

flosion

flosion

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I would appreciate help in uprading my computer, right now i need to upgrade the amount of RAM i have, my graphics card, and change my OS into Windows XP. I also need to figure out how fast my processor is. Any help given would be appreciated - thanks in advance. :tazz:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First you need to know what you have before upgrading. For this i would download Everest home edition and run it.

http://www.onlythebe...?program_id=175

After finding out what you have start checking prices at places like newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, and pricewatch.com. If you find that it will cost more than $200 to upgrade the computer you are really better off buying a new computer for around $300-400.

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Everest is a great program for finding out your system specs.

Be aware though that while it will tell you the specs of your current hardware, it won't really tell you what that hardware is upgradable to.
The most important bit of info you need to get from Everest, is your motherboard make/model. Once you know this, you can go to the motherboard manufacturers website & find out exactly which typw of video cards, ram etc are supported by your board.

When it comes to buying more ram, I suggest you go to crucials website (www.crucial.com) & use their memory advisor. This will give you a list of ram modules that are supported by your system.