Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Start-up Issues

• Please log in to reply

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok, here is what is going on. It is not with my computer, it is with my sisters' computer in their room which presently has Windows 98SE installed. Not totally sure on the complete specs but I know that it has a 128MB RAM chip and and older Athlon processor in it. Now that that is covered, here is the problem. I recently took the side panel off and cleaned the dust out of the case, did not remove any components or mess with any components except the CPU Fan to clean it as well. RE-installed everything, set the computer back in it's place, and went on thinking nothing of it. Later, I got a phone call telling me that the computer would not start-up properly anymore. For a while it was going through Scan Disk each start-up and giving a message reading something like this "Scandisk has found and repaired an error. Please restart the computer." Upon following those instructions, scandisk comes back up and gives the same message. After several times of going through that, it stopped doing that and is now starting-up and showing the Windows 98 start-up menu giving the usual options of safe mode, logged, normal, etc. Tried starting it in safe mode and it does make it to the desktop, then it shows the "blue screen of death" as I call it. I hit enter and the computer proceeds to restart again. Not sure what to do now. I am going to try to work with it some, but doubt I will make much progress. Help please anyone. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

QUICK UPDATE

Now that i have been working on it for a little while, the computer no longer shows the "blue screen of death" when I start it in safe mode. It shows the desktop momentarily and then the screen goes black with a blinking curso in the top left-hand corner. I cannot type anything and no keys respond. Presently running scandisk scans on both hard drives in the computer. Surface scans included.

Edited by The_Shadow_630, 03 January 2006 - 12:36 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools