Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OEM CDs

• Please log in to reply

crankyfish

crankyfish

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I need to upgrade my PC laptop from Win98 to XP professional. Just when I was considering the purchase the other day I received an unsolicited email from this outfit: http://www.computersoft.biz. They're Offering OEM software at ridiculously low prices. I am very tempted, but I suspect its a scam, there's no contact tel number or address, although the site looks very professional.

I've done a 'whois' search on the domain name and it's registered to a Russian in Moscow, this in itself seems odd.

Has anyone used this outfit before or heard any complaints. Does anyone have any advise re. buying this kind of software. They maintain that it's cheap because there is no manual or box.

Any advise will be appreciated

Thanks
crankyfish

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
When I shop for software online this is the first site I hit:

http://www.viosoftware.com/viosoft/

I have order software for both personal, and for jobs that people would like the latest software of Office, XP. I have neverd run into any praited issues with this company, and by some chance that you got praited software they will replace it at their cost(shipping both ways). Hope that this helps.

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

I have never heard of them but I would be careful. Purchasing OEM software should be fine, though in the UK I believe it can only be bought with PC hardware (that doesn't necessarily mean a complete system). You should make sure that it is original and what the warranty/support is.

Paddy