Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to install XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Buster Longwood

Buster Longwood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK, I'll give the RAID configuration a shot tonight, after I update the BIOS.

This was one of the articles I'd seen discussing NCQ and its advantages/drawbacks:
http://www.gamepc.co...ondmax10&page=3

Frankly, I had gone for the SATA drive after my initial repair install on my existing IDE drives was a failure. I assumed that the mobo really wanted me to use SATA drives.

But with these issues, I'm starting to reconsider the setup. The reason I have so many drives is because I use the machine as my music recording setup. It's ideal to have separate drives for the OS, paging file, audio samples, applications, and song files. So perhaps going back to square one and using that SATA drive for song files (which are big and are constantly being written and overwritten) instead of wasting it on the OS is my best shot.

For now, I'll stick with trying to get the OS installed on the SATA drive as I've been trying to do, if only to finally solve this problem, for me and anyone else who checks this topic.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
by the description of your needs...i would say that keeping the os on the ide drives..would be best...as the music is the stuff that you want to have the advantage of speed of transfer...so..let's see what the bios update does...and try to switch gears...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
the benchmarks on that site are a little misleading at times....it seems that in most of their benchmark tests...the ncq offers only marginal speed increase..(unless im reading it wrong)....and...well....as far as my understanding of the technology is concerened...i would worry about harware life with that stuff....it seems like the read/write head would be dancing around twice as much as normal....well...at least changing direction based on location and command....plus...in theory..if you issue a series of commands....let's say 4 opperations... the one you want to happen the fastest is number 1....but the head is closest to the data related to 2, 3, and 4....well...then number 1 will have to wait till it get's to 2, 3, and 4 before processing...unlikely to cause any major issues...but....seems illogical to me...at the same time....intriguing

Buster Longwood

Buster Longwood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
You're right, NCQ doesn't always seem to increase performance. I just figured that between that and a pointless single-drive RAID setup, it was preferable. Although you may be onto something in terms of the possibility of reduced hardware life and additional stress on the head. And the drive with my song files is the most critical part of the system, even if I have periodic backups on disk. Everything else can be reinstalled.

I'm still going to update the BIOS first and try to get things running, but switching gears, like you say, may be best.

Buster Longwood

Buster Longwood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Anybody want a Gigabyte motherboard, cheap?

So, I updated the BIOS. Didn't make much difference.

Ran Memtest86+. Memory passed just fine.

Set the SATA controller in the BIOS to RAID. But, the weird thing is, I never got a RAID BIOS config option after that. So that's . . . odd.

Anyway, tried some of the same old stuff (SATA on AHCI in BIOS, etc.). Nothing. Still same old BSOD.

So I disconnected the SATA drive. Hooked up my old IDE system drive as master, CD as slave on IDE (the normal, non-RAID IDE port). Was hoping maybe somehow, some way, I'd no longer have that lsass.exe error. XP starts to boot, loads drivers, then I get the same old lsass error. So I stuck the XP disc in again to try another repair install or to at least look around in the recovery console, and . . . wait for it . . . I get the SAME BSOD before I can get to the XP setup screen. XP setup files load their drivers and then, when you'd normally get the Welcome to Setup, you get the BSOD, just like I was getting with the SATA drive. Same error codes as before. (The text portion of the message points to either a virus (which we can rule out because the SATA is a new drive that I've tried low level formatting a couple times now in the course of all this), or a hard drive that's not properly terminated. Suggests running chkdsk /f. Unfortunately, I can't even get to the repair install to run chkdsk.)

So that's where I am now. Pretty much out of ideas and options aside from taking a sledgehammer to this motherboard.

hjack9240

hjack9240

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Buster, I have the identical error. New E520 Dell Dimension, 2 gig memory, SATA drive with XP Home. Went to upgrade to XP Pro, BSOD. Have spent 2 hours with Dell tech, they can't get it to work. I have reformatted the drive and tried to boot from the XP CD, BSOD. Reloaded XP Home, works fine until I try to upgrade or replace with XP Pro. BSOD.