Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup Software

• Please log in to reply

lady38

lady38

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have more than 8G of data files to backup, and would like to do so externally. I have tried a few programs that came with my computer, but they do not compress and want to span over way too many CD's. Does anyone have a recommendation on a backup software that is reliable? I backup every Monday (home business), so would prefer a method that will let me re-write. Thanks!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think propsing a backup strategy requires more information than you've provided, but here goes....

When you say rewrite, do you mean to a rewritable CD-RW, or something else?

8gb is a lot of data...what kind of data is it? If it is mainly music and images, these will not compress much and therefore it might be pointless to persue that path.

Have you considered backing up to a removable harddrive? Or a second drive? Are you removing the backup offsite (best practive)?

Are you interested in only data? Or do you want to back up your entire system.

Do you have a high speed internet connection?

lady38

lady38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I say re-write, I do mean a rewritable CD-RW. The files that are large are image files. I have a 2nd hard drive currently, and have my data files stored on it. This hard drive is partitioned, so that I have a backup on it. The main hard drive is where I store all of my program files. I wanted to have an exterior backup should something go wrong with my computer. It would preferably have my program files, but minimum, my data files. My motherboard went out over the weekend, which is prompting the concern to have an exterior backup. Everything on this computer is my work, and if I lose it, well......anyhow, the hard drive in my old computer was fine, so we installed it in the new computer. Fortunately, all of my data files were recovered, but none of my programs will execute. My internet connection is satellite - the best available where I live - it's definitely not "high speed". Puchasing an exterior hard drive is an option, but I wanted to make sure I knew the options before spending more money, and that the money will be well spent!

MadGamer

MadGamer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

When I say re-write, I do mean a rewritable CD-RW. The files that are large are image files. I have a 2nd hard drive currently, and have my data files stored on it. This hard drive is partitioned, so that I have a backup on it. The main hard drive is where I store all of my program files. I wanted to have an exterior backup should something go wrong with my computer. It would preferably have my program files, but minimum, my data files. My motherboard went out over the weekend, which is prompting the concern to have an exterior backup. Everything on this computer is my work, and if I lose it, well......anyhow, the hard drive in my old computer was fine, so we installed it in the new computer. Fortunately, all of my data files were recovered, but none of my programs will execute. My internet connection is satellite - the best available where I live - it's definitely not "high speed". Puchasing an exterior hard drive is an option, but I wanted to make sure I knew the options before spending more money, and that the money will be well spent!

Simply insert the XP CD, and run NTBACKUP.MSI (it might look like just "Ntbackup") program from the folder D:\Valueadd\msft\ntbackup where D: is the letter of your CD drive. This will launch the Windows Backup Utility Installation Wizard, which will install the utility automatically. When it is finished, click "Finish." It's that easy!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Given that, you are still going to be doing a lot of cd swapping with multiple CDs, since those images will not compress much, if at all.

Given your concerns, I might consider something like Acronis True Image with a USB drive.

First, Acronis

http://www.acronis.c...ucts/trueimage/

With this, you can make an entire copy of your harddrive (os and data), and it even supports incremental updates--ie, you make the first copy, and then run the software to alter changes only.

Then, if your harddrive dies, you can drop in a new drive, run a disk image restore from the USB drive and you are back in business.

I have used this method myself and it can be done fairly cheap, depending.

You mentioned an old drive...how many actual, physical harddrives do you have?

Here's what I did...I had an old 40gb drive laying around. I bought a usb harddrive enclosure for $20, inserted that old drive in, and TrueImage for $30. I can backup my entire system in about 30 minutes the first time, and incremental updates take about 15 minutes as it checks.

That's one way to go about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

You expressed an interest in rewritable media...one drawback to rewritable media is it's not as rewritable as the name implies. CD-RWs can be written to a dozen times or so, before their reliability tends to go.

Plus, you have the swapping issue, it will take about 8+ CDs to backup that data.

A DVD back up solution might be another way to go. A DVD writer can be had for about $35 these days....and for that you would need just two DVDs. You could go with RW DVD and use them maybe 12 times before tossing them and going with two more. If you get them on sale, you're talking about $1 disc

You could use the DVD software that allows packet writing, like incd from nero (probably come with drive), and use a free backup program like COBIAN backup to automatically back up your data to those drives (but again, more swaping).

Dual layer DVDs, if your drive supports it, might even squeeze it all onto one drive, but the media are much more expensive (for now)

lady38

lady38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks. I will try the Acronis. They allow you to download a free trial, which is a good test to see if it's what I need. I would try Gamers idea, but I do not have the Windows XP CD. I bought this computer from Fry's Electronics. Should a Windows XP CD been included in the box? Thanks again for the help!