Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it true?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply

akashlee

akashlee

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
i am learning c++ because i want to game, but i just read an article saying C is better than C++ when it comes to gaming.... i was like :tazz: :) :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so is c++ a good gaming lang?
:woot:

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
uh. c and c++ aren't all that different. the point is to learn an object orientated language. the concepts are the same in almost every high level programming language. just pick one, learn it as well as you can and you should be able to get it to do what you want. of course some languages are more efficient than others, but you must have a starting point.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Who told you that yarn? C is not even Object Oriented and without that philosophy you won't get far in game writing.

Irephin

Irephin

• Pip
  • 5 posts
As Thef0rce noted, C and C++ aren't terribly far apart. In fact, all C code is valid C++ code. C++ is a superset (extension) of C to give it more object oriented support.

It's worth noting, on the topic of object oriented programming, that it is the program you write, rather than the language you use, that can be object oriented. Certainly, C++ makes that easier than C does, but it is possible to write an "object oriented C program".

On the topic of gaming- which is your point, after all- either one will work just fine. If you have already begun learning C++, I would stick with that. Personally, if I had the choice, that is what I would use any way (and I have used both languages, though not for games).

I would be interested in seeing the article that you just read, if it is on the web. I am guessing that it sites less overhead in the C language as allowing it to be faster code. Technically, this is the case, but these days, if you write decent C++, it won't make a whole lot of difference (computers aren't getting any slower :tazz: ).

Also of note, Windows APIs are all written to conform with C. This means that if you use C++ there may be some C practices you will have to adopt to interface with the WinAPI. This is nothing to worry about though, and as I have said, all C is compatible with C++, so you won't have any compatibility issues with writing games for windows. If, of course, you are going to write console games (which is proly the best place to start), this won't be an issue.

Good Luck!