Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive swap (windows xp home)

• Please log in to reply

stang

stang

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've just recently tried to swap a 40gig hard drive from an old e-machine cpu I've been having to a newer dell xps someone gave me with a bad hard drive. After I replaced the hard drive I ran the windows xp disk to update the new hardware files in the xps system and everything works fine until it restarts and ask for the xp disk to finish the install (message: missing 'asms file please insert disk and press inter) nothing happens after that. I tried going into the registry and removing the upper and lower filters to reset the disk drive to default but still nothing. Any alterative solutions would be greatly appreciated..........stang

Edited by stang, 03 January 2006 - 03:24 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
stang,

any chance that daemon-tools or some virutal cd-drive software was installed on the 40gb drive?

stang

stang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Not sure but it was connected to a pci IDE controler, but that was moved also over to the xps system.......stang

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I ask because you seem to have done all the basics...that error will also show up if you do a repair to a system with daemon-tools on it without removing daemon tools.

What is the goal here?

Why did you do a repair rather than fresh install? You are using significantly new enough hardware where it would be beneficial to go that route.

stang

stang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I didn't do a repair I ran it like doing a new install so it would detect that I had an operating system on it and update the new hardware and retain all my data on the drive...........stang