Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook

• Please log in to reply

bgarrett

bgarrett

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
When I try to open Outlook Express email on my Windows XP, I get this message-----

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Unable to display the selected folder or item. File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file. C:\found.000\dir0000.chk\Outlook\Outlook.pst.

This started after I got messages saying my Microsoft Antispyware expired Dec 31, 2005 and I was directed to update. I updated, now I can't check my mail.
I appreciate any help. Thanks Bruce

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
oh boy....

The whole c:\foud.000.... line is a result of a chkdsk repair and recovered files or partial files.

Do a complete search for *.pst

Is that the only pst file found?

Can you copy it from that directory?

WIndows XP home or pro?

bgarrett

bgarrett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Do a complete search for *.pst_____ How do I do this?

Is that the only pst file found? ------Computer illiterate here--I havent a clue

Can you copy it from that directory?------I dont know what you are talking about

WIndows XP home or pro?-----its home. I am a kinda old guy who who can just barely use the puter. I'm sorry I dont know what a pst file is or how to find it. I dont know what a directory is or how to find it. All I know is I cant check my email. Thanks for any help and specially patience in trying to help me.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > Search

type *.pst in the SEARCH FOR FILES OR FOLDERS NAMED: box

Under search options, make sure to check ADVANCED OPTIONS and check SEARCH HIDDEN FOLDERS, SYSTEM FOLDERS AND SUBFOLDERS.

Leave the search window open and report back the location of where the files are (location will be in the IN FOLDER COLUMN)

bgarrett

bgarrett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did
start
search
all or part of file name
I entered *.pst
look in Hard drives C:
type of file
(All files and folders)
search hidden files and folders
search subfolders
I got
Search is complete. There are no results to display.
Did I miss something?