Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Xp wont load

• Please log in to reply

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have recently bought a new HD in hope of installing a fresh copy of XP onto it. I have been trying now for the last two weeks! There is a new partition in it and it has been formatted no problems but... I have been tring to install Xp onto it but it wont load the CD??? Any ideas would be appretiated!

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you checked in BIOS and make sure the first boot device is set to the cd-rom??

If it is, when you boot using the XP cd are you getting the message to "press any key to boot from cd" ??

Is the new drive an ISE or SATA ??

Murray

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Tis an IDE but i have a sata drive already with xp on if tht is any help. the order of the booting drives is Flopy, CD, HD is this a prob? And there is no message.

thanks alot for fast reply!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Nope.. nothing wrong with that boot order but the lack of a message about booting to the cd bothers me.. Is this an original XP cd and not a copy you or someone made for you (if it is a copy, then the setup procedure is completely different) !!

Murray

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
it is a backup copy yes - orginal at different location ok never knew setup different would u be able to explan please?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Get the original as copied versions are NOT self-booting..

Murray

gaz_the_chav

gaz_the_chav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
oh ok sorry for the dippyness of me :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts