Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm Trying to Re-Install Internet Explorer.........

• Please log in to reply

Dominique H

Dominique H

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
:)

I am trying to reinstall internet explorer in XP Pro. I've followed the advice from an earlier posting on this site located here: http://www.geekstogo...er-60-t251.html

Problem is, it's asking for me to insert "Windows XP Professional CD-ROM." I have no problem with that, but, I have upgraded some of my other MS programs like MS Office. I'm affraid that this would effect my MS Office and other updated programs. I don't want to have to reinstall office if I don't have to. Is there a file that I can locate on my computer now that reads "mswrd632.wpc?"

Thank you
:tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is a service pack uninstall file

MS Office will not be affected by the IE repair

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
:)

This is what my computer is asking me to do right now (I've enclosed a snap pic using snagit):

I updated this request before doing anything, because I forgot to mention the first box request that pops up. Here it is:

Posted Image

I don't think that I have this CD. I bought my Dell/XP Pro about three years past and had to upgrade along the way. What do I do with this request?

Posted Image

What do I do? Where do I find this already located on my computer or should I stick in the cd?

Thank you in advance.

:tazz:

Edited by Dominique H, 04 January 2006 - 06:47 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Put the CD in

It is looking in Service Pack Files\i386 (copy files from) and mswrd632 is a service pack uninstall file

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, I will load the cd. I will still be here for a few moments. Then I will reboot the system and hopefully there will be someone to continue this correspondence on this subject at hand. Thanks for your help Kieth and orleans for the pm. Be back real soon.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can click start then run, type sfc /scannow (with the space) then press enter, this will ask for the XP CD and will replace system files, it shows a blue progress bar while checking files, when the bar goes, reboot. Then try the repair again

If you are already half way through then continue to load the XP CD

It is only interested in the specific file it is asking for, it won't write loads of them to undo any updates you have done

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Keith, I tried that yesterday by doing "run" and the scan request. But, it didn't solve anything. Please, look at my updated version of my origional request in the posting. THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

P.S. I still haven't done anything yet. I will be waiting for your reponse. AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Keith, I apologize. Not the original part of this message, but, where I've added pics of pop msgs. I've added the first request pop up and don't know what to do. THANK YOU

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will be on the same CD unless you downloaded SP2 as an update

Go for putting the CD in, if it isn't on the CD, you just get a message saying could not find the file

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
My turn to add bits :tazz:

i386 will be on the original CD

Advertisements

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Will do. Thank you. I will do so now. Then I will reboot the system and come back. But, before I do so, must I back up all docutments and mywebsites from frontpage, pdfs etc?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not for this

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok. Again, thanks Keith. I will start the process now. I hope that you will be available when I get back since you've helped my thus far.

Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's 1 am here but it shouldn't take long

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Keith, if you are still here here is what it is asking me now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do I overwrite things or not?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE

Edited by Dominique H, 04 January 2006 - 06:49 AM.