Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm Trying to Re-Install Internet Explorer.........

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go with no because that is a different file

When it has finished, see how the PC is running in respect of clicking links in IE6

Advertisements

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Done deal. THANKS AGAIN

Be back soon.

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Keith, this just popped up:

Posted Image

I know that I said earlier that I've upgraded to SP2 and I did, but, is it this file located in "WINDOWS" and under "ServicePackFiles?"

THANKS A MILLION

Edited by Dominique H, 04 January 2006 - 06:50 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you change the F:\i386 to C:\i386

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Let me try that.

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Keith, I typed it in the box and wouldn't do anything. So, here's where I found it or maybe it's not the one I need? Please, let me know. THANKS

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There will only be one with the exact same name

I was puzzled as to why the copy from location changed

If you have typed that and it runs, carry on

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It's working as I'm typing this. Be back soon. THANKS AGAIN.

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It's finally finished. I will reboot the system now. By the way, I have been using netscape with this forum. I will be back real soon to the forum after the reboot and testing of the ie icon to launch an ie page. THANKS KEITH.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
OK

Advertisements

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Keith, It is now 7:53 am USA time and I'm back. I don't expect for you to view this for a while, but, just to let you know.....the reinstalling of ie didn't not solve anything.

Unless, when I allowed the reinstallation to extract from the i386 folder on my system (because it was requesting for the SP2 cd which I don't have).

Does this make any sense to you? Also, I ran MSs anti-spyware program. I did a deep scan and now listing the following infection:

ABetterInternet.Aurora

I did a little research on this file (whatever you call it) in google.com and on this web site and it appears to be a virus of some kind. Can you expand on this with your input? I would appreciate it.

P.S. I would like to keep the reponses to my request exclusively for Keith or someone who is comprable in knowledge and possible level of monitoring status. THANK YOU Also, I am truly grateful that Google sent me to this tech web site. Geeks to Go! looks and feels like a tremendous resource for info and help. THANKS TO ALL HELPERS AND THE OWNER OF THE SITE.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try with this

Step 1

You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called:

I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going to be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\I386

-----------------------------

Step 2

Now you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your PC. We do this is the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:\

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

Before this it was asking fot the XP Professional SP2 CD, now it asks for the XP Home Edition CD

It keeps asking for it though, so put the mouse over retry and keep clicking it, as it's into three figures and only half way, but at least it hasn't said it cannot do it

If you insert the XP CD, cancel it when it shows the set up screen

Click start, my computer, right click the drive with XP CD, click explore, click i386 to highlight, click copy, he may need to press x to close the folder display so he can select copy, copy it directly to C

When you edit the registry click the + for each key then click set up, on the right are two similar keys, it is the 2nd of the two, source path

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Frist, Keith, thank you for your USA morning response back to me.

I will do what you have explained and get back with you as soon as I can. Hopefully you will still be around.

I have to leave for a moment (15 mins).

THANKS AGAIN

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Replying US local morning isn't a problem cos even the laziest ones in the UK have got up by then , it's 13:30 here

Dominique H

Dominique H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Also, do you know anything about the following "ABetterInternet.Aurora?"

Is their a clear-cut way to get it off of the system or by reinstalling ie again will eliminate it or....? Your response is highly appreciated.

THANKS AGAIN