Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sonic update manager

• Please log in to reply

Marti

Marti

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is a problem on my brand new Dell computer. I cannot delete this Sonic Update Manager from my start up. Every time I log on, it pops up and won't go away until my language becomes embarrassing! I tried the fix that Keith posted to pqp but SUM isn't listed on my startup menu. Anyone have a magic seek and destroy method to eliminate this daily frustration? :tazz: I don't have the CD-ROM that they say is needed to activate this action.

Thank you for anything that will help... :)

Marti

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Ask Sonia

http://support.sonic...oduct=recordnow

Post back if she doesn't know

Marti

Marti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Keith,

IT"S GONE! :) Sonic Update Manager is part of a program called RecordNow. Through startup I searched for RecordNow and 3 results popped up. I clicked on RecordNow data and it contained the Sonic music site on which a box, entitled "sonic update manager" was checked. I unchecked it and logged off to test the results but it didn't work soooo I went to add/remove programs.

This is the puzzling part...I had checked in my installed programs at the very start of this problem and SUM was not listed. This time the whole sonic family was there so I removed them all. When I re-booted my screensaver was at peace at last.

When I went to Sonia's site, I typed in "delete Sonic Update Manager" and her list of 14 had one match that led me to the solution. I believe it was..."Sonic manager keeps trying to launch".

Thank you so much for the guidance in helping me to solve this problem. :tazz:

Marti

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

Jean W.

Jean W.

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I have a new Dell Dimension Computer also (E510) and started getting the same message about Sonic Update Manager. Dell didn't know what to do with this.

My quuestion is....does this have something to do with the DVD-CD read-write drive (player) in the computer or is it related to some other kind of software that my son, who set the computer up for me, might have downloaded????

What IS Sonic Manager, anyway?

Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look for a programme called Sonic Record Now

It is the update manager for this

Jean W.

Jean W.

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Keith,

Yes, I see I have these programs in my computer (from the Start-My Computer-Add/Delete programs page):
Sonic MYDVD LE, Sonic RecordNOW Copy, Sonic RecordNow Data, Sonic Update Manager.

So, I don't remember installing these programs! This is a brand new computer. Would it have come pre-loaded and if so, why is it not lilsted among the components and software on the packing slip? Or maybe they came off my OLD computer when we did the transfer of files? I had some kind of CD burning program on the old one--Roxio Easy DVD/CD creator. That's the same company as Sonic, isn't it?

However, it is interesting that all of us who are writing about this have Dells....and Dimensions at that.....

So, if this is software....but does it have anything to do with the basic operation of my DVD Drive or is it simply/only software for creating CD's? In other words, if I remove all the associated programs with Sonic, will this affect my normal DVD/CD useage or not?
:tazz:
Thanks,
Jean

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It won't affect the DVD Drive, it just has an annoying habit of wanting to phone home 3 times a day

If you click start then run and type msconfig then press enter, and then start up, look for the update manager entry there, remove its tick, click apply and reboot

When windows gets to the desktop, you will get a box show, tick do not start the configuration utility when windows starts, click OK, and that should be the last you see of it

You can leave all the other software on the PC because you will need it to copy files to CDR / DVDR discs

If it still pops up we can look at another way of stopping it, but this should do it

Jean W.

Jean W.

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Keith,

I will look into your fix. Thank you. I guess my other question was "Is this something Dell installed pre-loaded on my new computer, and if so, why couldn't I get them to help me with this? (they refused)."

Jean

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you cannot see it in msconfig / start up then you can always remove it from add / remove, just the update manager, as they rarely update them and use it more to let you know about paid upgrades

Advertisements

Marti

Marti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I removed the whole program so I guess if I need a program like that, I will need to download or buy another. It was an emotional deletion. Dell loaded several more than the Sonic program into my computer and I have deleted most of them.

Marti

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You did the right thing if you weren't happy with it, but rather than spend a lot of money on a replacement, see if you can get some of the freeware replacements

If you want to post a list of the programmes you removed, I can have a look for suitable things

When you install anything in the future, look for the advanced option / custom option, they try to frighten you off by saying for advanced users only, but generally they hide the unwanted bits behind those tabs, and if none of it makes sense, which is rare, you can always click back, or cancel the install, reboot and then start again

Marti

Marti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Keith,

I deleted the ones that Jean listed: Sonic RecordNow Copy
Sonic RecordNow Data
Sonic Update Manager
Sonic MYDVD LE
It was just my first week with this new computer and I hadn't even used this program....didn't even know that it was included. I don' really need this at the present time but if you have a suggestion for freeware that would perform the same functions, that would be greatly appreciated. I left in Sonic DLA and Sonic Encoders. Should I just delete those as well? If they are remnants of the deleted items, they are probably worthless....don't have a lot of knowledge in this whole Sonic fiasco.

Have a good weekend!

Marti

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can check it with the Sonic site but I'm guessing that those won't do much without the rest

Rather than load programmes you do not need, although disc writing software is handy because when, and when is the operative word, something goes wrong, you can save important documents to CDR or DVDR discs, resolve the PC errors and then load the documents back on from the discs

If you post in whenever you need a programme or anything, someone will point you towards the best alternatives

Marti

Marti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you, and I will certainly do that.

I do have a burner for copying, etc and for my puposes, it is adequate. The whole Sonic program was an over-kill for my needs. I will go ahead and remove the other two components.

Thanks again for helping me to get all of this sorted out.....Marti