Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sonic update manager

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's fine

Hope your new PC doesn't have any more surprises for you

Advertisements

Porge

Porge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I also have a dell and kept getting the update manager appearing, I have done as you suggested and deleted update manager from add/remove programs, however now when i restart my computer it is asking for a disc called "sonic activation module"

I wondered should i delete sonic encoders also?

Please help me out as i have had this laptop for less than a week and is relly getting on my nerves!

Thanx

greyrec

greyrec

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
I also ran into the Sonic Update Manager problem. I uninstalled the Update Manager and now my computer tries to install the Sonic Activation Module. I did a quick check on Sonic Solutions tech support site and couldn't find an answer for this proplem. Any help???
CDW

JeanP

JeanP

• Pip
  • 2 posts

It won't affect the DVD Drive, it just has an annoying habit of wanting to phone home 3 times a day

If you click start then run and type msconfig then press enter, and then start up, look for the update manager entry there, remove its tick, click apply and reboot

When windows gets to the desktop, you will get a box show, tick do not start the configuration utility when windows starts, click OK, and that should be the last you see of it

You can leave all the other software on the PC because you will need it to copy files to CDR / DVDR discs

If it still pops up we can look at another way of stopping it, but this should do it

I also have a newish Dell with the same problem. When I try your fix above --launching msconfig I can't find the update manager entry. Any hints on how to find it, please?

thx

JeanP

JeanP

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I went to the Dell website to check this problem. The solution is linked to the support page. There is a hotfix from Sonic.

Craigdee

Craigdee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sonic Update Manager Requests a CD When No CD is Available

Table of Contents
1. Sonic Update Manager Error Message on Boot
2. Download the hotfix from the Sonic/Roxio website.
3. Additional Information

1. Sonic Update Manager Error Message on Boot

The following error message appears on system boot:

’Sonic Update Manager’ The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the ´Sonic Update Manager´ disk and click OK.

Return to Overview

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Download the hotfix from the Sonic/Roxio website.

To correct the problem, click the link below and perform the following steps.

Click the following link to access the hotfix from the Roxio website:

http://tools.roxio.c...isum_hotfix.exe

The File Download - Security Warning window appears.
Click Run
The Internet Explorer - Security Warning window appears.
Click Run.
The Sonic - ISUM Hotfix Setup window appears.
Click Yes.
The Sonic - ISUM Hotfix Setup window appears.
Click Yes when the reboot prompt appears.