Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet explorer or outlook express error...(Resolved)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sousse

Sousse

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,

I'm sending you this message from my laptop since I cannot do anything on my computer.
Whenever I use Internet explorer or outlook express I always get the following message, "Internet explorer has encountered a problen and needs to close". If I click on details I get the following: "Appname: iexplore.exe, Appversion: 6.0.2900.2180, modname: mshtml.dll".
I get the same error when I run outlook express but with the following details: "Appname: msimn.exe, Appversion: 6.0.2900.2180".

I was able to run AVG antivirus, Spybot, Ad-aware. I fixed everything but I still cannot get internet explorer to work.

I tried to do a system restore and cannot get this to work either since I am getting the same type of error.

I also noticed that I get an error when I run system information.

Here is a copy of the log I get when I run Hijackthis:

ogfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 11:18:48 PM, on 1/3/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\vsnpstd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SNPSTD2] C:\WINDOWS\vsnpstd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
O12 - Plugin for .UVR: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPUPano.dll
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zon...kr.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {2917297F-F02B-4B9D-81DF-494B6333150B} (Minesweeper Flags Class) - http://messenger.zon...er.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zon...nt.cab31267.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

I need some help!!

Your valuable time is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Dragon, 04 January 2006 - 12:37 PM.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
hi, well first off your using an out of date version of Hijack this, but from the brief look over of it, your log is clean from any infections.

based on your error information that you posted it seems to me that somehow IE may have gotten corrupted, whihc in turn can corrupt Outlook Express.

do you have a windows XP install disk or was this version of Windows already on the machine when you got it???
the answer you supply will help me with my next post.

Sousse

Sousse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help.

I ran sfc.exe /scannow on my computer and it asked me to insert the windows XP disk.

It fixed the whole thing and now everything works.

Again thanks for the help.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
good job, thats what I was going to suggest if you had the Windows XP disk.

This topic will now be closed, if you need it reopened please contact a staff member with a link to this topic in your message asking for it to be reopened. If this is not your topic please start a new topic for assistance.