Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply

Selle

Selle

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello,
I am having sound problems. Basically I do not have any sound output. My speakers are plugged in to the sound output jack and they are on but do not output sound. It was working the last time my computer was on but now it does not. I checked the volume and the volume is up and not muted. I restarted my computer and still no sound. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Earlier I was messing around with connecting my TV to a radio tuner. The switch between the tuner and the TV was off but for some reason it sparked and ended up frying the sound on the TV. The TV works but does not have sound. My computer is also connected to the tuner but it was switch off the computer and onto the radio. I am afraid that it may have fried the sound in my computer also. My computer runs fine but like I said it does not have sound. I hope this is not the case. My sound output is on my motherboard so if this was the case I am worried I may have to get a new motherboard. I sure hope not though. I hope this is a simple fix. Any help would be great! :tazz: Thanks!
Selle

Advertisements

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Several things to try:

1) Check if there is another sound config program like Windows Volume, for example C-Media and make sure nothing is muted and the right sound device is selected in there.

2) You can open device manager and try removing, redetecting and re-installing the sound card. Since it's been installed before, you shouldn't need the drivers, but then again it would probably be safe to have them on hand just in case.

3) If the sound card is fried, don't buy a new motherboard, just buy an addon sound card. Trust me that a good name brand card will sound better and give you less trouble in the long run.

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello gen244drdr. Thanks for the reply!
Sorry I am not sure how to do step 1. How do I check for another sound config program? I checked the volume and nothing is muted. How do I check the sound device?

I also don't know how to open the device manager in step 2. But like you said this might not be the problem because it was working before.

With option 3 if I install a new sound card are you sure that it will work if all the sound components are fried? How will my computer output the sound to the sound card if those components are fried? My computer is a dell and I am hoping that there is still some kind of warranty on it. Maybe they could send me a new motherboard. Who knows.

Thanks again for the help.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Hello gen244drdr. Thanks for the reply!

Hi Selle, you can call me gen, or dr or... Ady if you like.

>Sorry I am not sure how to do step 1. How do I check for another sound config program? I checked the volume and nothing is muted. How do I check the sound device?

Click on Start/All Programs/ and look for anything to do with a sound card.

>I also don't know how to open the device manager in step 2. But like you said this might not be the problem because it was working before.

Right click on my computer and then left click on Properties. Then click on the Hardware tab, and beneath that Device Manager. Next you click on the "+" next to ''Sound, video and game controllers'. Finally right click on the sound card and choose Uninstall.

To re-install it, go to the top of the hardware list and right click on the 1st item (a tiny computer) and click 'Scan for new hardware'. Now assuming all goes well it will detect the sound card and re-install it by itself. You would then re-test your sound card. I wouldn't suggest you follow this item if you're going to persue a warranty. (Because I think since you haven't changed any settings it's probably a hardware problem).

At this point in time I think you should find out if your computer is still under warranty. If you're not sure, you can ring Dell and a serial number (probably on the back of the computer or on your recipt) should be enough for them to look it up and find out for you.

>With option 3 if I install a new sound card are you sure that it will work if all the sound components are fried? How will my computer output the sound to the sound card if those components are fried?

Plugging a new sound card in replaces the fried componants for the onboard sound card and unless the slot you plug it into is stuffed, or something else is seriously wrong with your motherboard it will work fine. You'd need to disable the onboard sound card though, to keep things from getting confusing.

>Thanks again for the help.
You're welcome. I'm in a rush though right now, so I'm sorry I couldn't spend longer.

Adrian.

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Here is an update:
I called Dell and they ran me through some tests that all failed to fix the problem. First I was told to restart my computer and tap F12 then enter (I think it was called) Boot Utilities. After that I clicked on a Custom Test button and tested the Audio. The audio tests pasted and even played some sound when it did the analog test. The tech told me that this meant my sound card (which is integrated into my motherboard) was working. They said that it maybe a software problem. The next step was to do a system restore which failed to fix the problem. Next they had me download the drivers from support.dell.com which also failed to fix the problem. Finally they wanted me to reinstall windows which I do not want to do and haven't done yet. I am pretty sure that this is a hardware problem because like I said before the same thing happened to my TV. Unfortunately they will not send me a new motherboard until I reinstall windows to see if that fixes the problem. Thankfully though I am still under warranty. So my question is do you think that it would help to reinstall windows? My thinking is that the last thing Dell wants to do is to send me free parts so they want me to do everything possible to try and fix it before sending me the parts. In my opinion reinstalling windows will not fix the problem and I do not want to go through the pain of backing up all my data and reinstalling just to find out I'm in the same place. However, I could be wrong and the only fix is a reinstall. In your opinion should a reinstall be my next step? Thanks again for the help and advice!
Selle

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hey Selle,

I just got back from a short holiday to the grampians! Sorry for vanishing on ya. I would suggest you follow my instructions about removing and redecting the sound card at this point. I tend to agree re-installing windows wont help, espececially since you haven't changed anything. Just follow the instructions from my earlier post and if you need more help I'm happy to answer any questions. Keep in mind lying and telling dell you've already re-installed IS an option haha. :tazz:

Ady

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
(What you do is say "A friend took an image of my computer, re-installed and it didnt help so I restored my old image of the computer". They cant prove otherwise and since you said your friend did it, you dont have to act like you know what you're talking about with ghost images and such things.)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Selle...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

If the above doesn't resolve the issue, you might try a Repair Installation of Windows. This procedure will not remove or damage your data or settings...it will just replace the system files. There is a Dell Guide for doing this...look about a third of the way down the page.

This will also remove all the Windows Updates so you will have to reinstall them. On the otherhand, it's possible that an update may have had a hand in your problem.

wannabe1

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Wow I just want to say thanks to everyone for replying with help!

But now I have 2 suggestions and I don't know which one to do. gen, should I try your solution first or should I try wannabe1's solution? Gen if I should do your solution I will need a better guide to do it, I'm not very good with this kind of thing.

Again I really do appreciate the help everyone!
Selle

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Selle...

Try gen244drdr's suggestion for uninstalling the sound card in Device Manager and see if Windows will reinstall it for you. If that doesn't resolve the issue, proceed to the System File Check I suggested... :tazz:

wannabe1

Advertisements

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok I'm going to try gens suggestion. I have a few questions before I do this though.

Right click on my computer and then left click on Properties. Then click on the Hardware tab, and beneath that Device Manager. Next you click on the "+" next to ''Sound, video and game controllers'. Finally right click on the sound card and choose Uninstall.

Under "Sound, video and game controllers" I see:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Devices
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio (I think this is my sound card)
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Video Codecs

Which one do I uninstall? Am I right about SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio?

To re-install it, go to the top of the hardware list and right click on the 1st item (a tiny computer) and click 'Scan for new hardware'. Now assuming all goes well it will detect the sound card and re-install it by itself. You would then re-test your sound card. I wouldn't suggest you follow this item if you're going to persue a warranty. (Because I think since you haven't changed any settings it's probably a hardware problem).

By the "tiny computer" are you refering to the box "Computer"? Also if all does not go well will this void my warranty. In other words if in the end I found out that my motherboard is in fact fried will I still be able to get a new one for free under the warranty? If it does not fix the problem or create more problems can this process be reversed with a system restore maybe? If so I will create a new restore point before I begin.

Thanks for the help!
Selle

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Uninstall SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio...Click "Apply" then "Ok" and reboot.

You shouldn't have to do anything...Windows should detect and install the sound card on it's own...if, for some reason, it doesn't...post back and let us know.

This operation will not effect your warranty as we are doing nothing other than making your system look for and install a device integrated to the motherboard. You really don't need to set a restore point either... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 08 January 2006 - 04:49 PM.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
By 'tiny computer' I meant the first item in the device manager list. Good luck! (Wannabe's suggestion of simply rebooting will do the same thing and its easier too).

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok wannabe1 and Gen, I uninstalled SoundMAX and then rebooted. It found the new hardware but still no sound :tazz:
Should I try wannabe1's solution now?

Thanks!
Selle

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...go ahead and run the scans I suggested.

wannabe1