Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

See if it will complete the setup by putting the cd back in.

It will not. I get the same error.

Should I try safe mode as gen suggested? I do not have a Windows CD with sp2. Mine has sp1a. Maybe if I can start in safe mode I could burn sp2 onto a CD and then install it, but I don't think safe mode will work.

I wonder if I did install a new motherboard and re-ran the repair install again that it would fix it. I don't know, I'm lost.

this has turned nasty unfortunately!

I agree.

Advertisements

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Regarding the destructive re-install, if necessary you can probably backup data if you plug your hard drive into another computer. Also, I'm willing to try and help you via msn (in my details) if you like.

(This isnt against board policy is it?)

Ady.

Edited by gen244drdr, 09 January 2006 - 07:58 PM.

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Do you have files on the machine that are important to you? I'm thinking a full destructive recovery may sort this issue out.

This is what I really did not want to do in the first place. I didn't like it when the dell tech told me he wanted me to re-install windows. But it looks like at this point I have to.

The initial problems with sound coupled with driver errors during the repair leads me to believe we're dealing with a corrupt chipset driver...probably on the south bridge.

Sorry I have no clue what this means.

I do have things on the computer that I would rather not lose. However, I believe I can get them all back with some work. Like I said before I didn't want to do this in the first place but if I have to I will. I am thinking that it may not work because, what if the sound is in fact fried. Wont I still have problems when I try to install? I don't know what I am trying to say but I guess I don't know if that would work. However, your judgement is better than mine.

Thanks
Selle

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Regarding the destructive re-install, if necessary you can probably backup data if you plug your hard drive into another computer.

I don't really have another computer to do this on. I don't want to risk my friend's computer plus I think he would rather not. This is fine because I believe, with some work, I can get most of my important things back.

Also, I'm willing to try and help you via msn (in my details) if you like.

Thank you for your willingness to help me! I appreciate the help!

Thanks
Selle

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
"The initial problems with sound coupled with driver errors during the repair leads me to believe we're dealing with a corrupt chipset driver...probably on the south bridge."

Wannabe is talking about special chips which controll all the parts of your motherboard and the things which plug into it (cards + ram). From memory the south bridge controlls IO (input output) operations, IE. data from the hard drives etc and I'd agree this is more than likely what's stopping you booting.

Try booting in safe mode for me ok?

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Wannabe is talking about special chips which controll all the parts of your motherboard and the things which plug into it (cards + ram). From memory the south bridge controlls IO (input output) operations, IE. data from the hard drives etc and I'd agree this is more than likely what's stopping you booting.

So if this is stopping me from booting than I will not boot if I do a destructive re-install also, right? If this is true than will it work to get a new motherboard and try a repair install again?

I tried to book into safe mode and get this error

Windows XP Setup cannon run under safemode. Setup will restart now.

All I can do is click OK.

Thanks
Selle

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So how do I do a destructive re-install (if that is my next step)?

Or should I call dell and tell them that I do need a new motherboard. If this is the case what should I tell them since I have not re-installed windows like they wanted me to do? Do you think that telling them I did a repair install and got this error will be enough for them to send me the new part? I hope so!

This is weird that a small audio problem could cause this big of a mess. Things like this seem to happen at the worst times also. I am a college student and school will be starting up again on the 11th. Hopefully my computer is working by then otherwise some homework maybe difficult to do.

Thanks again
Selle

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Selle....

Sorry about the delay, I had to step out for a few minutes.

Let's not order a new motherboard just yet. I'll need the model of your computer and any other pertinent information about it you can give me...I'll assume the OS is XP Home for now. I'll find the correct guide for this procedure.

The southbridge chipset is fairly diverse, however, the sound is handled through this part of the board. Hence, a bad chipset driver that effects the southbridge also effects the sound The northbridge handles graphics.

I've started with machines in worse shape than this and got them running...just hang in there.... :tazz:

wannabe1

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The model of my computer is a demension 3000. I am (or was :tazz:) running XP Home. I asked the dell tech what motherboard I had and he said something like it is a four layer uapx compatible intel spring double 865gv chip set. pentium 4/celeron compatible. I don't know if that is right. But let me know if you need to know anything else.

Thanks
Selle

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The guide for the Dell System Recovery is located HERE.

Your machine has already been configured to boot from CD, so you can begin with the step below the second gray box. Begin by putting the CD in the drive and rebooting...this procedure is nearly completely automated so you shouldn't have to do too much until the operating system is in place. I suggest that you read the whole procedure before you start.

wannabe1

Advertisements

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok well it looks like I am going to have to do this tomorrow because it says to "remove any internal peripherals that were not factory-installed in your computer" which I have. I will need to put back in the old parts. Looks like this might be a big operation to do a system recovery. Are you sure that getting a new motherboard will not solve this problem?

Also the picture of the CD they show on the guide is different from the one I have. The one I have is maroon and not blue. It is not called Software Restoration CD either, it is called Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1a. Will this CD do the same thing?

On a side note I noticed, wannabe1, that you are from MT. So am I. I am currently attending MSU are you in this area or a different part of MT?

Thanks
Selle

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm about 500 yards from MSU... :tazz: Live just off Kagy Blvd. Small world!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hold off on removing anything from inside your machine. Just disconnect the externals such as printers, scanners, cameras, etc...

Was the maroon colored disk the one you used to do the repair? If so, it should be the one we need. Maybe I can just do this one for you...... :tazz:

Selle

Selle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Was the maroon colored disk the one you used to do the repair? If so, it should be the one we need.

yes

Maybe I can just do this one for you...... :)

This would be great if it is ok with you.

I'm about 500 yards from MSU... :tazz: Live just off Kagy Blvd. Small world!

Very small world. I live on campus.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

This would be great if it is ok with you.

I'll bet we could arrange something...it would sure be a lot easier to fix on the bench than over the internet. :tazz:

You know where the Kagy Korner Store is? I live very near there.