Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router Question

• Please log in to reply

Dodevu

Dodevu

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hey :tazz:

Question/Explanation 1 - Got a wireless router and I have installed it all in, then I set up the requirments for the admin thing, then it is set up, I try and access the internet through internet explorer on both laptop and normal computer and I can go on the internet on both of them, but I'm only on DSL/Broadband and I need to connect through the AOL icon, yet I'm worried I'm connecting through a different ISP/Dialler. {Please Reply}

Question/Explanation 2 - In the admin section, I type my ISP, Username, Password, then I save settings, I look at the password but it's like this ************ when I want it to be like *******, so it resets automatically, not that it's a problem as I can go onto the internet, but it puts the suspicion of signing on to another ISP. {Please Reply}

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
question #1....are you getting your dsl connection from aol...or from your local phone company?

#2 answer....the reason there's more stars than the actual lenght of your pasword is..so that if someone get's to your router page...and actually sees the real length of your password....it makes it easier to crack...so if you have a 4 letter password...it will show up as if you have like...let's say..a 12 letter password...that way it's a little h arder for the person to guess the password...cus now they're looking for a 12 letter one...instead of a 4 letter one....so that's normal...

Dodevu

Dodevu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I should/hopefully be getting a DSL connection from AOL.

Thanks alot for the answer for the other question, please answer my other, I have asked the question to my friends at school and they said it's normal, but their only 14, so I would LOVE LOVE a answer from you.

THANKS ALOT!!!!!!! :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...the reason for my first question is...

AOL provides broadband access in one of 4 ways.
#1 you actually use an AOL supplied DSL line with an AOL account
#2 AOL doesnt truely support dsl in your area so they have you aquire a DSL line from a local provider (usually the telephone company) then you run your aol stuff across that line

#3 and #4 are the same...but with cable instead of DSL...

my suspicion for your scenario is that you're truly leasing the DSL line from a local provider...but aol is handeling the billing and connections...which generally means....you don't have to use the aol software to get online...but they will still be the one's billing you...where as...if it were a true AOL provided DSL connection....you wouldn't be able to get on without the aol software...does any of that make sense?

Dodevu

Dodevu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yes it makes perfect sense.

Although, we applied for the broadband, got it perfectly, and supplied the plug in things for the telephone thingy (lol), and also I THINK they supplied the DSL line.

Do you think I'm connecting to a dialler with a 090 number, and do you think it's suspicious? I have just formatted my computer to get rid of the spyware/diallers.

Please reply, again, THANKS ALOT YOU HELP ME LOADS.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't see anything to supsect a dialer...the only reason to suspect a dialer trojan would be if the thing connects to the internet by itself...

from what you described...basically...you can just get online without using aol...

Dodevu

Dodevu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks alot for all that information and your time, I will carry on using my router thanks to you!

:tazz:

Dodevu

Dodevu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
UPDATE: On my router now, running smoothly.

But, on my Laptop and Computer I'm on the same AOL username, will that slow the internet connection down?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it shouldn't...because...technically....your router is the only thing logged into the aol account

Dodevu

Dodevu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Technically, your a genious, thanks alot.