Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defrag, virus scan, and NTFS conversion lockups

• Please log in to reply

markvi58

markvi58

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm having a problem with my computer locking up when it trys to run through the whole disk with everything except chkdsk.

I first noticed the problem when my computer would try to run a complete virus scan with avg. Since other functions worked ok, I forgot about it.

I'm currently using FAT32 and want to convert to NTFS and decided to run defrag first. Defrag locked up at 1% (I left it alone for 24 hours to make sure that I wasn't being too hasty). After unsuccessfully trying in safemode, my father recommended Norton Systemworks. He uninstalled avg and installed systemworks. We still couldn't defrag the c: and Norton Disk Doctor wouldn't run after startup, but chkdsk would. Norton Antivirus would lock up as well.

I then decided to try to convert to NTFS. It locked up after chkdsk ran first. It proceeded to return to this every bootup until I went in in safemode and told it to restore to the last known good boot.

Anyone got any ideas on what my problem might be?

Thanks,
Jay Jasper

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download speedefrag from my signature, during install, click run it now, which is ticked by default, it will reboot the PC, load it as far as being able to run the defragmenter, then show an analysis, then defrag and turn the PC off.

Boot the PC and see if these will run

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

Click start then run, type
sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

markvi58

markvi58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith,

Before you posted your speedefrag message, I saw a message listed below mine with the subject: I need to defrag and it wont work, XP Home. Defrag won't go past 1%. I followed Fenor's instructions and did a chkdsk /p /r from the recovery console. This ran through a couple times before it told me it fixed a couple problems.

After rebooting I used XP's defrag and it stopped when analyzing at 22% with an error message that read:

The scan has been cancelled because an error occurred in file c:\FOUND.006\FILE2319.CHK

I then looked back here at the board and noticed your message. I got speedefrag and ran it. It is currently running (I'm emailing from my laptop). The analysis report says:

28.61 GB Total, 6.96 GB (24%) Free, 28% Fragmented (54% file fragmentation)

It's been running for over an hour and doesn't seem to be doing anything other than blinking a cursor at me.

markvi58

markvi58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Speedefrag just shut down.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is supposed to shut down when it finishes, use the PC until you don't need it, run speedefrag and see what the analysis says, it should be a lot less than the previous 28 / 54

markvi58

markvi58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I finished all of the steps and everything seems to be working great. Norton Antivirus just finished and found 2 virus threats and got rid of them.

Thanks for all of your help! :tazz:
Jay Jasper

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know