Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disappearing Icons

• Please log in to reply

IH8MEAT

IH8MEAT

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello! I am new here, and want to thank you for taking the time to read my post.

My computer froze up, so I restarted it. My Start menu & ALL Icons are gone. My background does show up, but I can't even right click on it to get started. I can get the Task Menu started...but that is it. I am not a computer genius, so please explain what to do in laymans terms. :tazz:

IH8MEAT

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to see if task manager shows, if it does, click file then new task, type explorer.exe and press enter, which should give you the desktop

IH8MEAT

IH8MEAT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks. I tried it, but it did not work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose last known good confiruration

IH8MEAT

IH8MEAT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith-

Thank you for your response. However, it still did not work. Is there anything else that you can suggest?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

IH8MEAT

IH8MEAT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith-

I was not able to complete your first suggestion.

On your second suggestion, it will not let me run my d drive with the CD in it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you start in safe mode?

IH8MEAT

IH8MEAT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No. I have tried several times in Safe mode, but it will freeze up and I will have to reboot. Thanks though...

ocardi

ocardi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It's my first time that I post an Answer but I used several time some suggestions given here.
I want to congratulate all Staff because the solutions are real, and in this case too. I used the
Windows Xp repair solution and in union wth my two antivirus software I have my PC in good
form again. After having repaired W/Xp I run first Avg and then Trend Micro Internet security
and the malware was gone. Of course I disabled the restore option before restarting too.
Thanks again !!!
:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know

You should not have two installed AV programmes running together, you can keep both on the PC if you set one to not run at start up, then turn the other one off so you can use the one which does not run at start up

You can use any online virus scan with an installed AV programme running