Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem connecting to network

• Please log in to reply

jackie823

jackie823

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a laptop computer running Windows 2000 Professional that is normally connected to a network at my office through an ethernet connection. I unplugged the laptop (power cords and ethernet cords) over the weekend to store it while there was construction being done, and now when I attempt to reconnect the laptop, I cannot access the server or the internet. This has happened before, because our network has a firewall. Usually, we have to reboot the server and firewall in order for the firewall to recognize the laptop as a non-intruder. I have rebooted several times, but still cannot connect.

The network connection on the laptop says that the connection is enabled, and the device manager shows that the ethernet card is working properly. I have even tried deleting the card and then rebooting the system to have it find a new driver, but that does not work.

When I run the ipconfig on the computer, I receive the following information:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
Connection-specific DNS Suffix. :
Autoconfigured IP Address: 169.254.97.163
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

Other computers that are running on the network (without any problems) give an address for the default gateway, but this does not. Also, I am unable to ping other computers on the network from this laptop or to ping the laptop from other computers connected to the network.

I have limited networking knowledge and would greatly appreciate anyone's help!

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
If you have the IP 169.254.x.x, you have a connection issue. this link may help,

Why do I get 169.254.xx IP? An error occurred while renewing interface ...
169.254.xx. Resolutions: 1) If this is XP, obtain the latest service pack for ...
http://www.chicagote...ingipconfig.htm

jackie823

jackie823

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you so much. I entered in a manual ip address and updated the driver, and everything seems to be working now.