Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Abit Fatal1ty AN8 Woes

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys,
I was building a formidible gaming rig for my uncle using some high end parts, everything has worked great except for a certain Abit Fatal1ty AN8 motherboard. I need help badly.

The first problem is that when the system gets turned on you get a message to the effect of "System is running in failsafe mode, press F1 to continues or F2/Del for Setup". I first assumed this to be simply a dud cmos battery but no, i know its not because stuff saves to the cmos and that even if the battery was dead, the cmos wouldnt clear because it was still powered at the wall. So any advice on that would be greatly appreciated?

Second problem is that during movie sequences in Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory and Prince Of Persia it glitches, both video and audio, if you look at the specs of the computer you can see that this should not be. I have no idea what would cause this, except maybe that its currently using an old 60 gig 5400RPM IDE hard disk. Anyone have any ideas on that?

The third problem was the sound, but i sorted that out, but i am, still no wiser as to the cause. Fourthly was that no Sata Power lead was in the box and that some of the stuff had been opened, but i bought it 2-3 months ago, does anyone know if i have rights to get my money back or a replacement board?

Please help :'(
Dave

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Try resetting all the BIOS settings to default. Then clear the CMOS ( if it has a jumper). Just an idea though hopefully it works!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
does the system running in failsafe mode come up before after or during post

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
it comes up just after the IDE/Sata Scan, so i guess at the end of the post

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
did you overclock at all?

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
nope

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Do you have a serial ata harddrive to test and see if that works?

You said a 5400 rpm harddrive.... Those are way outdated for a desktop pc and that is possibly the main problem.

5400 rpm is really slow man. Im thinking that your current motherboard doesnt like drives that old and slow with that interface.

If you got a serial ata harddrive that mobo would work without errors no questions asked. The ide problem sounds like someone maybe had it before you possibly and damaged something somehow. Maybe a bad motherboard.

You said some of the stuff looked to be already open. Thats not good man...

If you got it from newegg I would get a replacement from them. They have no problems at all giving you a replacemend if you did buy it at newegg. If it was already open, get a new motherboard replacement. The same mobo or a diff..

Edited by jrm20, 04 January 2006 - 07:46 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Nope, the company in question are World Of Computers PLC, Glasgow (incase any Scottish people are reading).

I have dealt with these people before and found it hard to get my moneys worth when it comes to faulty bits, i think unless they choose to help me this time or trading standards can help me out, iv been shafted.

Ill be sticking the SATA drive on this weekend, ill keep you posted, ill also replace the cmos battery just incase.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Cool, the sata should work with no problems at all. Unless the board is bad.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont buy anything from a computer shop, no matter where you are in the world, mind you bought computer parts from a shop in glasgow im surprised you didnt get mugged on the way home.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Lmao. I survive muggings merely because i always look skint (all my money goes into my Game rig).

Wheres the best place to get stuff in UK warriorscot? i think ebuyer are still top dog.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

The " system is running in failsafe mode" durring post is normal if the system is running in it.

Simply enter bios and load the optimized defaults (or something to that effect) then save and exit.

Abit has the failsafe mode as part of there bios so if you are having problems you can use it. Failsafe mode just relaxes the ram timmings and some other things it really don't hurt to run in it but it can cause a performance hit.

I agree with jrm 20 that the sata drive could help with the other problems, just wait and see.

Rick

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ahhh, see that terrifies me, because when i hit load optimized defaults on my gigabyte board it crashes out and you have to reset the cmos to get it running again, i havnt tried it tho. Ill give it a shot and keep you posted.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Top dog supplier is overclockers they are the best of the best and only stuck the top notch stuff, reasonable prices sometimes the cheapest, ebuyer is the cheapest ive found but scan and microdirect are also pretty cheap.

Yeah the skint look helps protect me too, although i stay away from Glasgow even the neds think twice about messing with someone as big as me even when im not going for the skint student look, well not much choice on that front i am a skint student.

Even if you have to reset the cmos its no big deal.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You really need to do it, if not the performance won't be there, you should not crash if all the parts are good and compatible, the slow hdd won't make it crash in optimized defaults so don't worry about that.

Plus your working with a Abit now, really top notch boards when setup properly but they do like quality parts to get the best out of them