Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing HP printer software

• Please log in to reply

ilanao

ilanao

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I bought a new HP Photosmart 3210xi in November. I installed the printer software and everything worked fine. In December, I had a hard drive failure and replaced my hard drive. I reinstalled all my other software onto the new drive with no problems, but when I inserted the HP installation CD and clicked INSTALL, all the instructions were in Spanish. The HP CD says it is in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish. I called HP and they sent me a new CD. The same thing happened again. I called them a second time and they had me download the software from their website. When I opened the file, the installation instructions came up in Spanish. They were unable to solve the problem. I checked all my regional settings and the language is set up to United States and English and my CD-ROM is set to Region 1. None of my other software has this problem. I am completely stumped and would appreciate any suggestions. My Spanish is OK, but I'm having trouble using the software with all the commands and instructions in Spanish.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you choose custom install and select english

You can get the user guide here

Can you explore the installation CD for the english copy of the user guide and save it to a folder

ilanao

ilanao

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When I open up "Setup" a window opens in English and says Welcome to HP......and gives me the choice of install or exit. There is no other option. When I click install, the next screen comes up completely in Spanish. I tried to find a file that would just do the setup in English, but there are over 175 files and folders listed. I recognize the files for foreign countries (like drivers) and there is a folder called langfls, but it has all the other languages except English listed in it. I also looked at readme, but that wasn't helpful. It just seems that my computer thinks it should be opening this particular program in Spanish and I can't figure out why. HP said to call Microsoft, but my experience with calling any customer service about software is that they always blame it on someone else! I usually find better help on boards than on the phone.

The only thing that might be helpful is that I opened up a file called "config." At the end of the file it contains
</Menu>
- <AllMappings>
-<languagemappings>
<Mapping LID="1025" Value="ARABIC" />
<Mapping LID="1027" Value="CatalanSetup.exe" />
<Mapping LID="1033" Value="English" />

and it continues with another reference to "ARA" and "catalan" after that. I assume I can't edit a file that's on the CD. It seems kind of suspicious to me considering that it's coming up in Spanish. I also wish I could find another Setup file, but there is only one listed.

Also, would it be helpful if I posted this in a software forum. I started with hardware because it's a printer issue even though I know it's a software problem.

Thanks again.

ilanao

ilanao

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It just occured to me that maybe the registry had these stupid setting stored in it, so I deleted all the HP entries and restarted my computer. SUCCESS!

Too bad the person I talked to at HP that barely spoke English and knew less than dirt couldn't have come up with that one.

Thanks for your help!
Ilana

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know