Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 problems at startup

• Please log in to reply

joe1167

joe1167

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
I have a Dell Dimension desktop running Windows XP with Verizon DSL and also have AOL. The first 2 problems just started recently. The third has been happeneing for a while now. Here they are:

1 - on startup, a Verizon dial-up connection box appears with my name and password already in the boxes and asks if I want to connect. I just X out of it because I always use AOL. But this never happened before.
I went to the settings box in the dial-up box but don't want to change anything unless I know what to do.

2 - also on start up, the AOL sign-in screen comes up automatically which never happened before. Now I should mention that we have a couple of versions of AOL on the computer because I had to reload it in the past. The AOL screen that comes up is not the one we want to use. I X out of that and click the icon for the one I want to use and it will take about 50 clicks of the mouse before it comes up and then the PC runs a bit slow. I'm baffeled.

3 - and, (quick background) I paid for and downloaded a program called Speedupmypc and used it once or twice. This one's been happening for a while now.
At startup, a grey box appears with a red X and reads "PSysProbe:: update, Section6, Section 6.1, Invalid argument to date encode." Should I uninstall this and if so, how? Or are the three connected in some way? If anyone can help me out here, I'd be so appreciative. Thanks again.
-Joe

Advertisements

MadGamer

MadGamer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi,
I have a Dell Dimension desktop running Windows XP with Verizon DSL and also have AOL. The first 2 problems just started recently. The third has been happeneing for a while now. Here they are:

1 - on startup, a Verizon dial-up connection box appears with my name and password already in the boxes and asks if I want to connect. I just X out of it because I always use AOL. But this never happened before.
I went to the settings box in the dial-up box but don't want to change anything unless I know what to do.

2 - also on start up, the AOL sign-in screen comes up automatically which never happened before. Now I should mention that we have a couple of versions of AOL on the computer because I had to reload it in the past. The AOL screen that comes up is not the one we want to use. I X out of that and click the icon for the one I want to use and it will take about 50 clicks of the mouse before it comes up and then the PC runs a bit slow. I'm baffeled.

3 - and, (quick background) I paid for and downloaded a program called Speedupmypc and used it once or twice. This one's been happening for a while now.
At startup, a grey box appears with a red X and reads "PSysProbe:: update, Section6, Section 6.1, Invalid argument to date encode." Should I uninstall this and if so, how? Or are the three connected in some way? If anyone can help me out here, I'd be so appreciative. Thanks again.
-Joe

Hi Joe, ok, lets see if i can be of assistance to you :tazz: .

1) Go to Start, click on Internet Explorer, then click on Tools then Internet Options. In the Dial Up Networking Box, select AOL and click "Always Dial My Deafult Connection" Click on Apply and then click Ok. Or if your Verizon DSL has any software un install that, via Add/Remove Programs in control Panel. If this doesnt solve your problem, go into Connect To and click on Show all connections. Then right click on your Verizon DSL connection and click Delete.

2) Un install ALL versions of AOL, reboot and then install one version only.

3) I would suggest you do un install this. You can do this via add/remove Programs in control Panel.

joe1167

joe1167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi MadGamer,
Thanks very much for responding as quickly as you did. In my initial post, I made a mistake regarding the pop-up dial connection box. It wasn't a Verizon box. I think it's a windows box. Here's the thing, at first, when it popped up, I "X'd" out of it and that would be all. Now it keeps popping up. I'll get it to go away and in a minute or two, it pops up again. And I also get a Smartbridge error at times as well. Keep in mind I have Verizon DSL so why should a dial-up box appear?

Also, on your advice I was attempting to uninstall the Speedupmypc program today. Any idea how long this should take? When I hit delete, it asks if I'm sure and I click yes. After this, a box comes up saying it is gathering the necessary information. The same box was still up about 45 minutes later. When I did a control-alt-delete to see what was happening, it showed the speedupmypc program running. I left for work and left the computer still in the gathering stage. I'll see what's up when I get home later. Should it take this long?

Lastly, should I unistall all versions of AOL? Or is it ok to unistall all but one? Do I uninstall from theAOL files themselves or in the add/remove programs? Sorry about all the questions but I'm pretty new at this and just wan to get this computer working properly. I went in to the Internet Explorer accessed the Internet Options and made the changes you suggested and thus far, the same thing is still happening. (The dial up box still appears). But, as I said above, it isn't a Verizon box. If you can think of anything else, please let me know. Hopefully I can uninstall the program and take it from there. I'll post my progress.
Thanks,
-Joe

Edited by joe1167, 05 January 2006 - 07:06 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The dial up box problem:
Internet Explorer> Tools> Connections
tick "never dial a connection"
That should make that dial up pop up box go away.

Uninstall all AOL programs from Add/Remove and reboot. Reinstall the most current version (if you must use AOL). Reboot.

I doubt "speedupmypc" is the problem, but since it doesn't do anything you can't do within Windows, uninstall it just to see if things improve.

Johanna

joe1167

joe1167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Johanna,
I followed your advice on regarding the dial up box problem but nothing has change. I will be deleting all AOL version of AOL and reinstalling the latest one.

I tried to uninstall the speedupmypc and when I do, a box appears and reads that it is collecting the necessary data and just freezes from there. I downloaded Remove and Removeit and removed the program from these programs and thought I was okay with that issue. Just to check, I did a search and typed in speedupmypc and found it was still in the directory. Is there any way that you can think of to uninstall this for good? I also be uninstalling the AOL softwar and reloading one version.

Thanks and if you can think of anything else to try, please feel free to leave a post.
Thanks so much.
-Joe