Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network

• Please log in to reply

crispy

crispy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have two Dell computers, attached to Road Runner through a hub. I can get internet on both, but cannot network the two so I can share files. When I try to ping either of them, I get a time-out error. I do have windows firewall, but have made exceptions for file sharing. I've tried to set up the network through Windows XP a bunch of times, but I can never see the other computer on the network places. I have XP Pro on one computer and XP home on the other. The hub must be working correctly, because both computers are able to internet connect. What am I doing wrong?

Advertisements

crispy

crispy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Let me update. I just uninstalled spyware blaster, and am now able to ping both computers. But, I still don't see either computer on the other one. They have the same workgroup name, but they are not showing up as on the network.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi crispy,

Basic Checklist for Networking
1. Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved.
2. Ensure that all computers on the network are in the same workgroup.
3. Ensure each computer has "file and printer sharing" installed.
4. Ensure that you have 'File Sharing' enabled - to do this, right-click on any Drive/Folder/File on one (or all) of the other computers, and select 'Sharing and Security...'. Ensure that 'Share this folder on the Network' is enabled.

Once done, goto Start, Run, type: \\Other Computer's IP Address - for example: \\192.168.1.102
To find out each computer's IP Address, goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', and then type: ipconfig

When troubleshooting, it's always best to actually disable all firewalls. The fact that you can ping both computers means that your physical setup is working. Therefore, it is most likely a software issue (ie: Firewall).

Please let me know what happens when you try to create a conneciton with the other computer.
Thanks,
Dan.