Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LCD Monitor

• Please log in to reply

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I was never really thinking about buying an LCD, since I have a decent CRT and didn't want to pay $400 for one. However, I just found this one, for only $189 after a $70 rebate, and I'm starting to think about it. The only problem is that I never heard of Hannspree USA, and the specs are OK, but not great, also, I heard some bad things about TigerDirect, but don't know if they are true or not.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Some basic specs:
19" TFT LCD
.294x.294mm
31-80 KHz Horizontal
DVI & VGA
600:1 contrast
250 cd/m^2 brightness*
8ms response time
1280 x 1024 max resolution
3 year warranty

*this is what I found to be the worst.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Its not bad on a limited budget- If you have the money- I recently bought a Hyundai L90D+ which im very happy with- is around 325 last time i checked (pricy but worth it)

You want to get around 700:1 or 800:1 for contrast in my opinion and of course 8ms response as you have found

The one you have found is not bad as I said, do your homework well to find some customer reviews and you should be set! :tazz:

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
The thing is that it is probably this or nothing. I don't really need an LCD Monitor; I have a 17" CRT that serves me fine, it would just be convenient to be able to fit more homework on my desk (almost typed desktop, but that's an advantage too), and it would also be a little better looking as well. I'll do a lot more research on Friday (have to pratice for AP Calc tonight and work tomorrow night).

Thanks for your advice, I'll look into it. :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I agree, the specs seem very good for the price.
I wouldn't worry too much about the fact it's from Tigerdirect because the warranty supplied with the monitor is with the manufacturer, not the reseller.
I did notice a couple of conditions re. the warranty that affect people living in New York & California (in case that affects you!). Apart from that, they offer the usual 3 year parts & labour warranty that you expect to get with a monitor like this.

The only thing that is not mentioned, is Hannspree's dead pixel policy. This relates to the minimum number of dead pixels that monitor must have before the manufacturer will replace it as faulty. As this information is often not forthcoming, you may want to contact Hannspree by email & ask them before purchasing the monitor (www.hannspree.com)

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

The only thing that is not mentioned, is Hannspree's dead pixel policy. This relates to the minimum number of dead pixels that monitor must have before the manufacturer will replace it as faulty. As this information is often not forthcoming, you may want to contact Hannspree by email & ask them before purchasing the monitor (www.hannspree.com)

Good idea, thanks! :tazz: I'll let you know the results once I have some time to send it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you checked out the samsung syncmaster monitors excellent but ridiculously cheap.