Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build- what you think

• Please log in to reply

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
AMD does a good job with their fans as you said...for the mobo's you got any recommendations under 100? Ive seen some nice ASUS boards and still like them- have a couple in some of my rigs here and they have never given me a problem

Do you think I should take out the dual core chip? I really would like to get it in there-- I dont want to cut it out from the case and choose something more flimsy and noisy even though my Aspire X-Dreamer has done me well

The RAM I cant go cheaper- same with that video card or the dvd burner....So really its about

200 for the card
70' ish for memory
40 for the burner
100 for the case

which is 410 right there

Adding in a motherboard for around 85 is making that around 500

So putting in a Dual Core almost keeps me at that 850 mark except It would be probably a little more with the shipping...

Its looking like a dual core would not be an option really....

any thoughts?

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
then again there are so many great deals out there AR for memory so if I were to add that later from a AR deal...memory is dirt cheap now so I could even find some for around 20 with good quality

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the memory can be gotten cheap, its the low latency dual channel stuff that costs more, but even from corsair the single Gb sticks arent alot, i dont know prices in the US but they usually arent to much greater than here, so one of the MSI K8Neo4s should be in your price range, excellent motherboard ive never had a single problem with mine very reliable and i love the CMOS reset button its just so great for overclocking(and i have big fingers so jumpers are a pain and the button makes it quick). The Abit NF4s are good as well, the fatalities have the OTES cooling which looks nifty for extra cooling, and DFI arent as expensive as they used to be at least over here since they released the new crossfire boards the SLIs have gone down. Gigabyte make decent quality boards they are nothing special like the others are and are a little less on the features but they are usuall pretty cheap.

Dual core would be good, you look like you could get it, it would just mean you might have to upgrade something else a little earlier than you might usually. But DX10 is coming up so if you spen less on gfx now and get something DX10 after the summer that might be a good way to go.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Which card :tazz:

Cant make the decision- of course one is substancially differnt- but do you think I should even go different from these 2?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150118
^6800GS

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130256
^7800GT

Most likely going with this mobo- http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128301

Any good recommendations on any TV Tuners with DVR?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Well depends on your budget...

The 6800gs would save you money but the 7800gt is a little faster. Either are good cards.

Between those 2 I would get the 6800gs because the 6800gs and the 7800gt has the same GB/s bandwith which is 32Gb/s.

Edited by jrm20, 18 January 2006 - 04:20 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Haupage, make good TV tuners, i would go with the 6800GS they are cheaper and have enough juice to get the job done and you can always get another later and they are the best cards for SLI nvidia make.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Antec Sonata II

AMD X2 3800+ think its worth extra cash to the 4200?

Nvidia 6800GS- thinking about dual

Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI

Also- my concern about memory- Im either thinking 2X512 or 2X 1 gig

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would really go for the dual 6800gs instead of one 7800gt for shure. 2 6800gs would be nice to have.

If you got the 3800+ dual core you can easily overclock it to the 4200+ speeds if you wanted. I think you would be fine with the 3800+ but if your not into overclocking at all the 4200+ is a good choice also.

Edited by jrm20, 18 January 2006 - 06:01 PM.