Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer trouble or Malware

• Please log in to reply

Torchred

Torchred

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'll try and explain this the best I can, since I've posted re: this problem before. When surfing the internet, things work fine and then all of a sudden when I attempt to go to a new site, instead of the site name showing int the box bottom of the IE box, such as www.comcast.net...an IP address will show instead, but the page won't open. The icon in the toobar will say comcast. But not the box at the bottom of the internet explorer box, just the IP address, This happens with every page I try to open. The all of a sudden it will start working again.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Frustrated....
Torch

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools then internet options, on the general tab, click delete cookies, click delete files and tick include offline content, click clear history, click settings and adjust the amount down to 1MB if you have broadband. Click apply

Click advanced and tick do not save encrypted pages to disc, click apply

Tick empty temporary internet files folder when browser is closed, click apply, close the browser

Open the browser

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks a lot, I've done that and we'll see what happens. Perhaps I should have mentioned that, when my browser quits working like that, I'm also unable to open my email, I use Outlook...but if I am in a chat room or game room that connection is still working...just can't open any new pages....
Torch, and thanks again, you guys are great

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
well that didn't work, after about an hour of surfing I lost my connection again..anyone have any other ideas as to why my internet explorer will quit working after a couple hours, If I reboot it's fine.
torch

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does your ISP impose duration limits or does the network connection disconnect if idle

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
It never has before. I have comcast. It's really strange....Any chance it is a malware or something. I did have several trojans when I did a spyware doctor scan on that machine several days ago. It had the Trojan.proxy.bk, about 9 times on the machine. plust the VX2.loo2me...Thanks again fdor all the help

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Next time you are disconnected, type

CMD
<ENTER>

in the command line box, type

PING www.google.com

then

PING 72.14.203.104

Report back results

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Torchred

Torchred

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here are the results of the ping suggestion
thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• 1_12_2006_5.16.09_PM.jpg

Edited by Torchred, 13 January 2006 - 07:07 PM.