Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to access websites

• Please log in to reply

mem2byte

mem2byte

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
Recently as if a slew of bad luck I have come across problems with my computer. Hope anyone can help!

I use a laptop with windows xp service pack 2 and recently began having trouble on my computer. I hope you can help me! I'm at a lost where to begin.
My first problem is that whenever, I try to access a secure website (with https) with any browser (Microsoft or Netscape) I can't get through anymore. I have the windows firewall on and this problem occurred out of the blue. As a result, I cannot receive windows updates anymore either. I followed the directions given (check settings, connections security)-nothing?! How can this happen all of a sudden?

Second, I hope my problem is not too long but also whenever I shut down my computer I get a message: ccApps program ending now. Windows station is shutting down." I also checked the system events log and found these errors: "waiting for the lxcf_device failed to start due to error: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

And lastly, whenever I restart my computer I get the message that the Norton AV autoprotect driver couln not be loaded. Please restart your computer." It's been a long time since I updated and have not renewed the Antivirus program. I don't know if this is causing my problems. Would it be better just to uninstall Norton AV through the remove programs and install another antivirus program? I realize my questions are long but I have no idea what to do. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type services.msc

Check

alerter

automatic updates

Background intelligent transfer

are all started and set to manual or automatic start up (double click them)

Click apply on each tab before moving to the next one

mem2byte

mem2byte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I checked and my alerter, background transfer and automatic updates were enabled. I'm still not able to access the websites and receive automatic updates(even though it's on) and still get the shutdown message. I have absolutely no idea why this occurred out of the blue.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you are unable to get current updates for Norton you should uninstall it and use AVG Free

http://www.filehippo..._avg_antivirus/

You should also consider using a third party firewall

http://www.filehippo...ware/firewalls/

Zone Alarm works well with AVG

Download them first then uninstall Norton, install ZA and then disable the XP Firewall