Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sounds Disappears Frequently

• Please log in to reply

roppongi

roppongi

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Excuse me if this appears in the wrong area in your Forum...it took me 5 or 6 minutes to find a "new topic" button, and I am not sure how I got here. Very hard site for me to navigate. How does a person who's a previous user go right to a 'new topic' button when arriving at the home page?

Problem:

I am having to reinstall my audio driver (Realtek something or other) every day or so. I do not know what the problem is. Yesterday I removed and reinstalled...got audio. Today when I booted up...no audio. This is irritating and time consuming.

If anybody could tell me a solution to this, I would appreciate it very much. Plain English, please. I ain't a technical person.

Jim

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
when you say booted up.... no audio, did you mean no system sound or no audio all together?
have you considered it's a problem with hardware? sometimes when the system is operating too hot or the cpu usage is too high you may loose audio.
also right click my computer go to manage and device manager and check if the audio driver is working properly.
there could be a shortcut on your keyboard for mute and it might be possible that you accidently activated it.
Press F1 and follow the XP steps to solve an audio problem
And if you could supply more info regarding the make and model of your motherboard, soundcard, and how long this problem has been going on it will be much help.

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks, Gladiator... I am able to follow you from 'my computer' to 'manage' to 'device manager' to 'sound, video, and game controllers,' but after that there is nothing I see to help me check 'if audio driver is working properly.'
How do I make that test?

Sorry, I have no idea about mother board, etc., and stuff inside the box. This has been a problem for some months when I noticed my Media Player had no sound. I could restore it, but lost it in a day or so. Yes, it's a total system no sound problem when it's off.

Thanks for any further illumination. Jim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, sounds speech and audio then sounds and audio, audio devices to check the audio tab shows a sound device

roppongi

roppongi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks a bunch, Keith. Under the volume tab of the 'Sounds and Audio
Devices Properties' box, the Realtek AC97 audio had the mute box checked....

???Beats me. I had never been into that part of the computer before. How in the world did it get checked? I unchecked it and have my audio back.

Strange things are going on with this computer.... Any idea on the cause of this? Jim

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through this then post back when you get the all clear

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

It's a shrewd move if you have unexpected things happening