Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networked XP Computers cannot see main computer

• Please log in to reply

josephblopez

josephblopez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi There,

I just set up my home network and each computer can access the internet; no problems there. The networked computers can see each other on the network along with their printers, but none of the networked computers can see the main computer or it's printers. I am using a router (Belkin wireless G) on the main computer. The networked computers can print to each others printers, but again not to the main computers printers (HP 1200 laser jet and HP 990)

Here is a break down of the network:

Main computer: Compaq Win XP Professional
#1 - Compaq EVO 500 - XP Pro
#2 - Dell GX-240 - XP Pro
#3 - Dell Inspirion 5100 - XP Pro
# 4 - Gateway Solo 1450 - Win XP Pro
# 5 - Compaq 1200XL 300 - Win ME

When I try to add the 1200/990 to the networked computers, I get an error message that printer settings cannot be saved.

Soooo, everything is working fine, except for the networked PC not being able to see the main computer. The network name is uniform among all the computers.

So does anyone have a fix or an idea how or where I can get this fixed.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

main computer

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello Joseph,

Basic Checklist for Networking
1. Ensure that all firewalls are disabled for all computers involved.
2. Ensure that all computers on the network are in the same workgroup.
3. Ensure each computer has "file and printer sharing" installed.
4. Ensure that you have 'File Sharing' enabled - to do this, right-click on any Drive/Folder/File on one (or all) of the other computers, and select 'Sharing and Security...'. Ensure that 'Share this folder on the Network' is enabled.