Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer VS Computer

• Please log in to reply

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hey everyone,

ok heres my problem. i recently bought a new computer and am still waiting for it to be shipped here Via UPS. the specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 64Bit 2.2GHz Socket 939
Motherboard MSI K8N SLI-F Socket 939 nVidia nForce4 SLI Chipset
Video Card BFG GeForce 6600GT OC 128MB PCI-Express x 2 (SLI)

Memory Kingmax 1GB DDR400 Dual Channel Kit (512MBx2)
Optical Drive 16X DVD+/-RW (Black)
Hard Drive Maxtor 250GB UDMA-133 7200RPM w/16MB Cache
Audio 8-Channel Audio Onboard
Network 10/100/1000 LAN Onboard
Case AOpen QF50D (Black) Mid Tower Case w/ 350 Watt Power Supply
Warranty 1 Year In-Store Parts and Labour

All for about 1100$ Canadian

Im pretty sure this will be a great computer with some upgrades PSU wise. This however is not my Question.

My current specs are:

AMD Athlon Socket A 2700+ (2.2 ghz)
Motherboard Abit Va-20
Video Card ATi Radeon x850 pro (AGP)

Memory 1 GB PC2700
Optical Drive Aopen CD-RW
HD 1x random 30gb 1x Samsung 80GB
Audio on board
Network on board
case random "forceful" case
Warranty LOL none that i know of

Price was 700$ (a year ago that is)

Now my question is which computer will run games better? this is probably totally obvious but i have no idea. one has a way better GPU with an outdated processor and mobo. the other has a way newer mobo and cpu but with TWO slower cards in SLi. and im not sure if the faster card being AGP and the slower cards being PCIE plays a significant role, makes sence that it would but i dont know.

thanks.

Edited by operation ivy, 04 January 2006 - 11:07 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think the newer one will be slightly faster because of the faster cpu and better mobo and ram. But 6600GTs are pretty rubbish so i would just wait and see.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
There will be a good edge w/ the new one, your memory will be faster, the hard drive will be faster and so will ur CPU. Sli 6600 GT run about 6200 on 3dmark2005, and x850 xt agp runs around 6000 so your 850 pro is even less. So there is gfx advantage. But most games cant utilize SLI, when they can then you will have a considerable advantage

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
make the switch to the 6800GS

Also you would be fine with a 3400 or a 3200 and spend that money on 2 sticks of 1 gig RAM

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Hey everyone,

ok heres my problem. i recently bought a new computer and am still waiting for it to be shipped here Via UPS

already shipped

Edited by anoobrew, 05 January 2006 - 07:42 PM.

operation ivy

operation ivy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
thanks for the replies. i do realize the 6600 are kinda low end but oh well, theres much more room for upgrade with my new computer. its just so hard to part with my x850 pro. from what i gather they will be around even preformance though, which is good.

thanks again