Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremely Slow Loading Windowa

• Please log in to reply

grandpa

grandpa

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi

I am running WinXP home with SP2, 1.8ghz, 224mb RAM, The time it takes to get to the desktop with all 7 icons loaded is extremely long, approx 4 / 5 minutes. It loads quite quickly thru to the blue Welcome to Windows screen then take a long time to load form there. It takes approx 1/2 minutes just for the few desktop icons to load.

I have run Ewido, spybot, adware, trojanhunter, ccleaner, registry mechanic Cleanup, but with very little difference.

Can someone offer some suggestions as to how I can get Windows to load at an acceptable pace. ( Could I have a hardware prob)

Many thanks

Grandpa

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I'm guessing you have unseen processes loading as well as your 7 icons. Try Mike Lin's StartUpCPL to eliminate anything from loading that isn't necessary at start up.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Your system is a little light on memory for XP. If you feel the overall performance of the comp could be improved, adding more memory would be the easiest, least expensive hardware change.

Johanna

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
yes, adding more RAM will surely help. Also something missing in the list o things u've done is a defrag, run chkdsk and defrag, it will help to get rid of the lag during desktop icons loading.
You might also consider deleting ur prefetch to improve the boot, this is a debated issue though.

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi Guys,

Many thanks we'll try your helpful hints and report back.

Cheers

Grandpa

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
agree with dagger, probably down to file fragmentation, but i would invest in more memory as a priority. there an old application called bootvis, bootvis is a defragger that focuses on filles needed by during the boot cycle. you'll have to google it as i'm new here and dont know what the admins are like about posting links, its not hard to find though :tazz:

oh, and if you do run chdsk , remeber to use the /f switch so it actually fixes any problems it finds